[Marxism] French rapper faces 3 yrs jail

Calvin Broadbent calvinbroadbent at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 1 04:58:04 MST 2005

This is unbelievable. Anyone who listens to French rap music will know that
there are many groups criticising the French state. Most of them are North
African in origin, and have little or nothing to say about 'Islam'. Some use
profanities, some do not. The trial is reminiscent of how Los Angeles rapper
Ice-T was blamed after the LA rebellion of 1992 for sparking it with his
heavy metal song 'cop killer' ("cop killer, rather you than me. Cop killer,
f*** police brutality. Cop killer, I know your family's grievin'(f**k 'em).
Cop killer, but tonight we get even"). In this case, the violence in the
music reflected the state-sponsored violence that surrounded it.