[Marxism] El-Masri case confirmed, continued secret collaboration assured (was: Extraordinary Rendition Scandal Reaches New Heights)

Lueko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Tue Dec 6 15:09:28 MST 2005

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:11:52 +0100 (MEZ), Lueko Willms wrote:

> >   Condoleezza Rice and German chancellor Angela Merkel are expected
> > in a press conference any minute now (it was supposed to start at
> > 9:30, i.e. 15 minutes ago); we'll see what they have to say.
>
>    As already noted in the changed subject line, the one positive
> outcome of this press conference is that the case of Khaled el Masri
> is being confirmed.

   C. Rice made clear later that she had not admitted a US mistake in
this case. Whatever...

   Today in the USA, ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) has
announced a suit against the CIA chief (and possibly others) in the
case of El Masri, who took part in the press conference only via a
live video link from a Stuttgart TV studio. When he flew to the USA
on Saturday, he was barred from entering the country and was sent
back to Germany. Later today it was reported that the USA had lifted
the travel ban.

   I have not yet finished reading the "Democracy now" transscript,
so I don't know if the case is completely known.

   In January 2005, the al Masri case became really public with an
article in the FAZ (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung).

   A short english language summary can be found at this location
which I found yesterday by googling for "Khaled al Masri":
> http://berlinsprouts.blogspot.com/2005/01/another-mistaken-terror-suspect.html

   The FAZ article (in German) is linked from that article; the link
itself is awfully long.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main