[Marxism] Science and Pseudoscience

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Tue Dec 27 14:25:22 MST 2005

Here is a quote from my freshman econ. instructor, an icon of
conservative economics:

It is a "mistake to confuse the firm of [neoclassical] economic theory
with its real-world namesake.  The chief mission of neoclassical
economics is to understand how the price system coordinates the use of
resources, not the inner workings of real firms." Demsetz, Harold. "The
Structure of Ownership and the Theory of the Firm." Journal of Law
andEconomics, 1983, 26: 2, pp. 375-90, p. 377

In other words:  The idea is to "prove that the market works" without
looking at real markets.  That is, it is pure ideology.

You can estimate real demand curves.  Agricultural economists have been
doing that for much of the 20th century, but often to figure out how
much of the crop to divert from the market -- which is why "giant"
olives are the smallest that you can buy.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department
michael at ecst.csuchico.edu