[Marxism] FW: A Year End Message From Peter Miguel Camejo

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Wed Dec 28 16:40:15 MST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Nader/Camejo 2004 [mailto:naderteam at votenader.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 3:41 PM
To: mlause at cinci.rr.com
Subject: A Year End Message From Peter Miguel Camejo

Dear Supporter,

Sometimes it's instructive to look back for perspective in order to
drive forward.  As you raise your glass to the New Year consider helping
us with our year end drive to pay down our remaining expenses for the
prophetic campaign that you helped make possible.

The Nader Team

Dear Friend,

Over a year has passed since the 2004 presidential elections. While it
is still early to fully analyze the meaning of Ralph Nader’s candidacy
for president, it has occurred to me that certain fundamental themes are
now easier to see than at the time of the campaign.

Fundamentally what separates Ralph Nader from the progressives who
opposed his running is Nader’s deep belief in the people themselves
being able to change society. That is, Nader really believes democracy
is possible. Those who opposed Nader and capitulated by calling for a
vote for a candidate who opposed everything they claim to support
reflect a hopelessness that there is no way to overcome the control of
money over people. Deep down they do not really believe the people could
ever rise up and take control of their lives, their country and
institute democracy.
Never in the history of our nation has there been such a massive
campaign to try and prevent ballot access by an individual running for
Presidential office so that those who agreed with him could actually
vote for him.

The anti-Nader campaign was a totalitarian effort against free elections
aimed at the people’s right to choose and specifically aimed at those
who will not surrender their commitment to democracy. Not a single
elected Democrat in the United States spoke out against their party’s
campaign not to allow the voters to choose. Not one. This alone shows
the utter political and moral bankruptcy of that Party.

The Nation, the Progressive, Mother Jones, MoveOn.org, all the leaders
of the Progressive Democrats of America not only did not oppose the
campaign against democracy but in most cases participated and promoted
it.

I can think of only one similar historical event. The early abolitionist
movement believed slavery could only be ended if the slave owners could
be convinced to free their slaves. Like today they believed you had to
accept the political system, you could not go outside the framework and
challenge the two pro-slavery parties. You could only lobby, petition,
beg but not challenge directly who should rule.

Then in 1840 James G. Birney ran for president on behalf of a newly
formed party, the abolitionist Liberty Party. Many of the abolitionists,
like progressives today, opposed Birney’s daring to run. It was not
realistic. But in fact Birney’s campaign was the opening shot of what
was to change America forever and lead to the collapse of the political
framework that had allowed slavery to remain unchallenged.
The Liberty Party supporters were called fanatics, self-isolating,
unrealistic, and even crazy, as Michael Moore called Nader for daring to
run for peace, democracy and pro labor.

But Birney and Nader are not alone in American history. General James B.
Weaver ran in 1880 for president for the Greenback Labor Party and
campaigned in the South after the crushing of the reconstruction
government defending the rights of African Americans. Weaver’s campaign
helped set the background for the great rise of the Populist movement
and later the rise of another champion of the people - Eugene V. Debs.

There has been a long history of efforts to break the control of money
over people and to establish a political movement to fight for democracy
in the United States. Nader’s whole life has been rooted in his belief
that the people through their own actions can make a difference. His
appeals have always been to mobilize from the bottom up.

Nader’s efforts have resulted in so many important victories. While many
know of Nader having made their cars safer they do not realize that his
efforts have been instrumental in protecting our air, and water,
including the establishment of the EPA and OSHA in the early Seventies.

He helped win rights for passengers on airlines, fought for national
health care, living wage, freedom of information, against nuclear power,
against all kinds of corporate abuses, manipulation, false advertising,
and fraudulent practices. He has fought to protect our national
resources and public assets. He has defended workers in the mines, auto
factories and throughout America and fought against WTO and corporate
globalization. He advocated for the use of industrial hemp early, fought
discrimination against women and minorities and the rise of monopolies.

As an incorruptible symbol of the rights of the people Nader is a threat
to a world based on the corrupting power of money. In time Nader’s
campaigns in 2000 and 2004 will be seen as the beginning of what may
become a new wave in the battle for democracy. There are now so many
signs world wide of the beginning of another radicalizing wave, waves
that appear about once every 30 years. We can see it in the events in
Latin America, the recent rise of the Maori people in New Zealand, and
the massive world opposition to the war in Iraq and globalization.
Unlike the radicalizations of the 1930s and 60s, the need to break with
the two parties of money is in the air. Twenty five percent of our
people are not registered in the two major parties and 38% answer they
are independent in polls.

Six months after the election we saw Nader fighting at rally after rally
for peace as the Democrats declared their loyalty to Bush’s war. Even
Howard Dean had dropped his anti-war rhetoric as the Democrats gave
George Bush thirty-nine standing ovations at his 2005 State of the Union
address.

Nader stands on the side of all the mass social movements. His call for
the need to break with the political duopoly will resound as the next
wave develops.

As I speak at meetings here in California since the elections I notice
how no one but absolutely no one gets up to defend John Kerry. Even
those who voted for him feel a bit embarrassed. The winds are starting
to shift.

It was a great honor for me to be part of Nader’s historic challenge as
his vice presidential associate. As I traveled throughout our nation
speaking to audiences, primarily of young people, I knew I was looking
into the eyes of those in the future who will be the leaders of our
nation. We know not yet what our nation owes Nader for the seeds he has
planted among the minds of our people, especially our youth.

Let us all respect, assist and support Ralph Nader’s continuing efforts,
as he has assisted and defended all efforts for social justice,
democracy and peace.
You can generously contribute to this effort, and help pay off the
remaining campaign expenses through a $75 donation, for which you will
receive a personalized signed copy of "Crashing the Party", by Ralph
Nader, either for yourself or as a gift to a friend or a relative.

This incredible story is Nader's account of his 50 state campaign in the
2000 election. It emphasizes his dedication to reclaiming our democracy
by displacing the heavily concentrated commercial powers and intolerant
attitudes that keep America from building a just society for all.

Your past generosity in support of our campaign, as we worked for a
world of peace, justice and the fulfillment of human possibilities
within a sustainable environment, is greatly appreciated.

Your contribution of $75 for a personalized signed copy of "Crashing the
Party", by Ralph Nader will help move our campaign into the black, and
for that we are most grateful.

Thank you for your generous support and bright horizons.

Sincerely,
Peter Miguel Camejo

P.S. If you make your $75 contribution before the New Year we will
include a free pack of our 'spoiler' playing cards, a high quality deck
of poker-size playing cards containing 52 different questions and
factual answers on topics sure to ignite your sense of civic advocacy
with your friends and neighbors.

Paid for by Nader for President 2004 General Election Committee
Contributions are not tax-deductible.

Nader for President 2004
www.votenader.org
PO Box 18002