[Marxism] LH Updated

M. Junaid Alam mjunaidalam at msalam.net
Tue Feb 15 14:20:41 MST 2005

  Latest Release: Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The Brussels Lobby Youth

Matt Reichel

In the year 2005, everybody wants to be a lobbyist. Of course, when
these young, hip corporate pawns admit to you that they lobby for their
company in Brussels (home of the European Union), they usually do it
under their breath. It could be my rather unorthodox, punkish attire
that sends signals to their brains saying maybe I don't like the lobby
game, but, regardless, it's always the same "…and…and I lobby in
Brussels." And I respond: "Ah so that's what "Public Relations
Assistant" means!"

One of the great things about existing snugly on the Left is I'm pretty
sure that I'm never going to own one of these dastardly job titles
intended to cover the disgusting work that I, in fact, am in charge of
doing for my mercenary organization. But for an alarmingly increasing
number of kids my age in Europe, Brussels is where the business is at.
Behind the hip façade of revelers at many popular Parisian discotheques
lies the unfortunate reality of a cadre of neoliberalism's ground troops.

- (Read full) <http://www.lefthook.org/Culture/Reichel021505.html>

President Bush, Market Opportunity and Personal Responsibility

Seth Sandronsky

Is the market really our best hope for the future? President Bush's plan
for Social Security suggests so. In fact for him, personally investing
in the stock exchange is a virtue. With Bush's twist, that notion is a
holdover from the "new" economy hype of the 1990s-President
Clinton-style-that saw price bubbles in the dot-com, high-tech and stock
markets. Some working people got caught up in that frenzy, of which the
current bubble in home prices is a legacy.

- (Read full) <http://www.lefthook.org/Politics/Sandronsky021505.html>

Freeing The World from Silence: Review of /Freeing the World To Death/
by William Blum.

Macdonald Stainsby

William Blum, who gave us the indispensable book "Killing Hope: US
Military and CIA Interventions Since World War II" has released two
titles since. The first was titled "Rogue State: A Guide to the World's
Only Superpower", and now the newest one is "Freeing the World to Death:
Essays on the American Empire".

The essays that are published in the book have mostly already been seen
on websites or in magazines before, with a little new material thrown
in. However, you either read at breakneck speed and do little else, or
systematically seek out anything that Blum writes if you find the you
have read most of the articles already. Some of them date back to the
1990's, but with topics usually wedded to whether or not the US empire
(the first chapter is titled "the anti-empire report") is working for
good in the world or indeed for its own imperial interests since WWII,
none seem out of place or even "dated".

- (Read full) <http://www.lefthook.org/Reviews/Stainsby021505.html>

A Social Justice Quiz: Twenty Questions

Bill Quigley

1. In 1968 the minimum wage was $1.60 per hour. How much would the
minimum wage be today if it had kept pace with inflation?

2. In 1965, CEOs in major companies made 24 times more than the average
worker. In 2003, CEOs earned how many times more than the average worker?

3. The US is composed of 3,066 counties. In how many of the nation's
3,066 counties can someone who works full-time and earns the federal
minimum wage afford to pay rent and utilities on a one-bedroom apartment?

- (Read full) <http://www.lefthook.org/History/CPReprint021505.html>