Wiki!!! (was Re: [Marxism] Poli-Films and Reviews?

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Tue Feb 15 16:32:32 MST 2005

Carlos A. Rivera wrote:

> In a nutshell, how wiki works is by providing user-editable pages with
> information. Yes, ANY user can edit the info in a page. While this
> does carry risk, such as spaming and incorrect information, Wiki has
> matured to the point there are very effective ways to deal with such
> problems.

i would want to assure Lou on this point.

> To set it up, as we need is a CGI bin, a couple of page templates, and
> the setup of administration functions. And of course, a couple of
> geographically diverse wiki admins so that the pages can be monitored
> 24/7 for any problems. The admin and user interface is all web, and it
> runs using a CGI, no further software, programing, or server
> requirements are needed.

i would prefer a Wiki written in Python, i think they exist, and its my
scripting language of choice.

> For things such as a lefty movie website, Wiki is extremely useful,
> for example, it allows a user to simply put the movie title, then
> another to simply put cast info, another to correct that info, another
> to review it, etc etc etc.

suppose i wanted to create a database of films, comments, links, and
production dates and locations. does Wiki allow interface to DB
out-of-the-box? does it come with a DB plugin? etc.

> It all happens rather slowly at first, but it distributes work more
> effectively, giving you and Lou more time to concnetrate on both
> running this list, and other projects that are not suited for Wiki.

thanks for your help on this. i usually do all this research myself, but
have come to a point where i need to ask for help if this stuff is to
get done in a timely fashion.

les schaffer