[Marxism] Ain't freedom of the press grand in democratic Iraq?

Brian Shannon Brian_Shannon at verizon.net
Thu Jan 13 09:49:01 MST 2005

Questions for Randy Cohen, "The Ethicist" for the NY Times":
Should we pay media people for reportage or should they pay us? And how
do either promote democracy? And if we are in Iraq, shouldn't the
"interim government" [of what?] also provide body armor?

Ayad Allawi, the Iraqi prime minister, yesterday admitted that
officials from his political alliance had paid journalists for
attending press conferences.

At a meeting in Baghdad on Monday hosted by a cleric who is an ally of
the prime minister, several Iraqi and Arab journalists were given
sealed envelopes containing $100 notes (£53) simply for turning up.

FULL AT
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1389173,00.html