[Marxism] Fwd: Re: Establishment Progs Probe For Upcoming Chicago Mayoral Elections

Alex Briscoe obeynow20001 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 24 22:01:04 MDT 2005

Alex Briscoe <obeynow20001 at yahoo.com> wrote:Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:59:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Alex Briscoe <obeynow20001 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Fwd: Re: Establishment Progs Probe For Upcoming Chicago Mayoral Elections
To: illinoisgreenstalk <illinoisgreenstalk at yahoogroups.com>,
GreenPartyWorkingGroup Solidarity <solidaritygp at yahoogroups.com>,
Green All Views <green_all_views at yahoogroups.com>,
WP Greens <wickerparkgreens at yahoogroups.com>,
NSGreen Party <northsidegreenparty at yahoogroups.com>

Walt served in the Chicago machine for many years, so I think his comments are interesting.

Alex

To: GreenAllianceCookCounty at yahoogroups.com
From: Walter  <jobcity at juno.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:43:44 -0500
Subject: Re: [GreenAllianceCookCounty] Establishment Progs Probe For Upcoming Chicago Mayoral Election

Mayor Daley's top patronage people are now under indictment. It's safe to assume that someone was wearing a wire, and that they will have no alternative except to turn state's evidence against Daley. Can we expect an indictment before Christmas?

If so, there will be a power struggle among what remains of the Machine. If Jr. runs there will be a scramble to choose sides. Some of the ward organizations may defect to Jr.

In the chaos, maybe there will be an opportunity for Greens to play a role.

Don't expect any fundamental change unless the winner abolishes patronage. If this doesn't happen, the armies will simply be rebuilt under new leadership. On the other hand, if patronage goes, the Republicans could become a realistic force in the City, cutting into the conservative Democratic base, and forcing them to seek allies on the left. That could give Greens and other progressives an opportunity to start building effective organizations.

If we ever get an opportunity to ask for anything, we should demand an end to patronage.

Alex Briscoe wrote:

Whether to support a Dem in the Chicago Mayoral Election will be a real question for some Greens in Chicago.  I will work to try to see that Greens in Chicago remain independent of the Party of repression and hypocrisy, even if their representative has some liberal sheen, is African-American, etc.  Greens For Democracy and Independence and the Green Alliance USA exists to assert and act on these principles.

In the longer term, I would hope that labor representatives and Left Liberals break from the Dems and join the Greens, start an independent Labor Party, etc.  Perhaps, if the Greens can survive Dem Party attacks, as we grow and elect officials, Left Dems will defect to us and become principled, independent Greens.

I'm happy to see opposition from representatives of labor and the African American community oppose the Dem machine's reactionary actions in Chicago, but we need more of an independent movement from below among these communities to really begin to address human rights in Chicago.

Yours,

Alex Briscoe

***************************
***************************