[Marxism] New SPACE classes begin today

J Skolnik j_skolnik at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 09:35:32 MST 2005

This is a reminder that the first two classes of this
new anti-capitalist educational project begin today in
New York City! Course descriptions are below. Syllabi
for the two classes are located on the website.

The New SPACE
(The New School for Pluralistic Anti-Capitalist
Education)

Teachers, speakers, and organizers at The New SPACE
include:

Stanley Aronowitz, Jack Z. Bratich, Stephen Eric
Bronner, Andrea Fishman, Jeannette Gabriel, Loren
Goldner, David Graeber, Jesse Heiwa, Charles Herr,
Joshua Howard, Anne Jaclard, Andrew Kliman, Louis
Kontos, Joel Kovel, Raymond Lampe, Alan Moore, Bertell
Ollman, Howard Seligman, Bill Weinberg, Seth G. Weiss

"Capital, Volume I."
Instructor:  Andrew Kliman
Tuesdays, 6-7:30 pm, March 1-June 14.
Tuition:  $150-$180, sliding scale.

"Finance Capital, Fictitious Capital, and U.S.
Economic Decline."
Instructor:  Loren Goldner
Tuesdays, 7:40-9:40 pm, March 1-April 12.
Tuition:  $88-$115, sliding scale.

More classes and talks coming soon! Check our website
http://new-space.mahost.org

*******************************

SPRING AND SUMMER 2005 CLASSES AND TALKS will be held
at the FUSION ARTS MUSEUM
57 Stanton Street, NYC
(corner of Eldridge & Stanton Streets). This is in
Manhattan's Lower East Side, one block south of
Houston and one block south of the 2nd Ave. stop on
the F and V trains.  (See our website for map.)

*******************************

For more information about the school and registration
for classes, check our website.  Please send tuition
and pertinent information to P.O. box a week before
the class begins.

See below for course descriptions.

*******************************

Website: http://new-space.mahost.org
e-mail:  new-space at mutualaid.org
Tel:  1 (800) 377-6183
Mailing address:  The New SPACE,  P.O.Box 19,
Planetarium Station, New York, NY 10024-0019.

*******************************

The New School for Pluralistic Anti-Capitalist
Education (New SPACE) is a new anti-capitalist
educational project dedicated to developing and
advancing ideas for liberatory social change. Together
with the new movements for global justice, we believe
that "another world is possible" - a world free from
the domination of capital and free for the flowering
of human powers and talents.

The New SPACE holds that free dialogue and the
protection of dissenting views are essential for the
development of liberatory ideas and for forging real
unity among those struggling for liberation. We reject
the suppression of dissenting views and individuals in
the name of "unity," convinced that such suppression
is antithetical to the working out of real unity.
"Freedom," as Rosa Luxemburg reminds us, "is always
and exclusively freedom for the one who thinks
differently." Accordingly, one distinguishing aspect
of our mission is to create an educational space - not
existent at present - in which pluralistic dialogue
and dissident perspectives are respected and
encouraged.

The New SPACE will be a place for exploring
challenging questions that today's movements confront,
such as:  How do we build non-hierarchical movements
that can sustain themselves?  How can such movements
safeguard grass-roots democracy? How do conscious-ness
and ideas relate to movements for social
transformation?

Resolutely anti-authoritarian and non-sectarian, the
New SPACE brings together anarchists, humanist
Marxists, and others. All those who share our mission
and goals are invited to join us as students,
teachers, and partners in the development of this
project. In particular, we will encourage and
facilitate the participation of women, people of
color, GLBT people and others who face exclusion and
discrimination. We also envision a new space that
young people, without ties to the old Left, will find
welcoming. We seek, though our classes and other
activities, to create an environment in which youth,
working people from diverse backgrounds,
intellectuals, and activists can dialogue and
collaborate in order to make sense of, and transform,
our world.

New York City
November 8, 2004

*******************************

COURSE DESCRIPTIONS

"Capital, Volume I."
Instructor:  Andrew Kliman.

This 15-week course is devoted to Volume I of Karl
Marx's Capital:  A critique of political economy.
Marx analyzes the capital relation as a process of
"self-expanding value."  Throughout the course, we
will stress the relevance of this concept to the
contemporary expansionism of the capitalist system and
the new movements against global capitalism.  The
specific character of Marx's critique of capital, and
its differences from others' critiques, will also be
highlighted.

We will go through most of the text fairly carefully,
but proceed quickly through some lengthy discussions
of factual material - on struggles over the length of
the workday, "machinofacture," and the historical
origins of the capitalist system - in order to have
more time to devote to more difficult portions of the
work.  The instructor will provide study questions to
assist students as they work through the text.
Students are strongly encouraged to obtain the Penguin
(or Vintage) edition of Capital, since this is what
will be cited in class.  (The Penguin and Vintage
editions are identical in terms of translation and
page numbers.)

There will be no class on March 22.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"Finance Capital, Fictitious Capital, and U.S.
Economic Decline."
Instructor:  Loren Goldner.

This course will attempt to explain the current
situation of the U.S., the "lone superpower," which
has net $3 trillion in foreign indebtedness (30% of
GDP) and roughly $35 trillion in total internal
indebtedness (Federal, state, municipal, corporate,
personal), or over 3 times GDP.  Since the 1960s, the
U.S. has obliged its foreign creditors (Europe, OPEC,
Asia) to recycle their surplus dollars to support this
creaking edifice of debt, while American capital
downsizes and ships production overseas.  The rest of
the world produces, the U.S. consumes.  Manufacture
now employs a mere 13% of the American work force. We
will examine how this situation came about, who are
the "winners and losers" of such an arrangement, and
above all its impact on the material degradation of
life for 80% of the U.S. population.

Finally, we will discuss ways in which a potential
radical left can raise these questions in a
politically meaningful way.

The main required readings for the course will be
Michael Hudson's book Super-Imperialism: The Strategy
of American Empire (1972; reissued 2002), and excerpts
from the middle sections of Volume III of Marx's
Capital.

To get a better idea of where the instructor is coming
from, check out the Break Their Haughty Power website
at http://home.earthlink.net/~lrgoldner, in particular
the post-2001 articles.