[Marxism] Countercurrent thinking contest
lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Mar 3 12:52:21 MST 2005
the Cuban Book Institute (ICL) announces its
In order to recognize and spread critical thinking about the problems and
challenges of today's world from a broad anti-imperialist perspective of
solidarity, the Cuban Book Institute (ICL) announces its ¨Countercurrent
Thinking¨ Essay Contest.
By encouraging currents of thought which have been atomized, silenced and
marginalized by todays vast networks of domination, this award is aimed at
contributing to the creation of an active system of ideas within the social
sciences and cultural fields which promotes change and resistance to
1. Authors from all countries may submit a previously unpublished essay in
Spanish, Portuguese, English or French, or a translation of the essay into
any of these languages. The essay may not have won awards at other contests
and no commitments to publish it elsewhere may exist.
2. The essay should be no shorter than 20 and no longer than 40 pages in
length. A standard page contains 1, 800 characters (30 lines of 60
3. Only one essay may be submitted by the entrant.
4. Essays must be submitted before 30 March 2005. One copy of the essay
must be submitted via e-mail as an attached file, preferably .rtf (.doc or
open-format files, such as Linux, will also be accepted), to the following
address: <mailto:contracorriente at icl.cult.cu.>contracorriente at icl.cult.cu.
The e-mail must contain the entrants full name, address and a short
5. An international jury, presided over by Atilio Boron (Argentina) and
composed of Francois Houtard (Belgium), Roberto Fernández Retamar (Cuba),
James Cockcroft (United States) and Theotonio Dos Santos (Brazil), shall
award three awards of 1, 500, 1, 000, and 500 euro for first, second and
third place winning entries, respectively. Entries may also receive
honorable mentions without cash prizes.
6. An anthology of the winning entries and a selection of essays submitted
shall be published. The Cuban Book Institute (Instituto Cubano del Libro)
reserves the right to a first edition of the submitted entries, valid for
one year from the contest deadline.
7. The jurys decision is unappealable; it will be made known in Havana in
June 2005 at the closing ceremony of the Culture and Development symposium.
8. All entrants must abide by these rules.
9. For any information, please visit
write to <mailto:contracorriente at icl.cult.cu>contracorriente at icl.cult.cu
More information about the Marxism