[Marxism] Finance capitalism and the avant-garde

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Thu Mar 3 13:38:00 MST 2005

Back in the 1970s, Aetna State Bank in Chicago was finance the
demolition of many of the old but perfectly usable old buildings on the
northside.  The bank laid out the red carpet for business and business
loans and treated individual customers like crap.  Neighborhood radicals
hated the place so much that we took to calling it "Aetna Strong State
Bank," finally abbreviated to "Aetna Fascist."  ....Anyway, the logo
they adopted was a sort of color outline of the individualized old urban
landmarks that they were actually destroying.

We can learn from the surrealists about the funding of art and the
corporate definition of what is and isn't avant garde.

Ask an academic about what's regarded as "cutting edge" in their
field...and then look where the money's going.

These are all cultural reflections of the big lie...like democracy in
Iraq and freedom at home.

The paradox is that when Americans recognize this in one aspect or
another they tend to see what they've noticed as exceptional rather than
symptomatic of the system.

Solidarity!
Mark L.