Replying to Bill was RE: Short comment on Lou's post was RE: [Marxism]Arguing against Creationism and Healyism

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Thu Mar 3 19:12:48 MST 2005

Hi Bill,

thank you for reading my post.   You must have heard the
chimes at midnight!

My first comment is that you should (re?)dip into Waite's
book and his characterisation of left Nietzscheanism.

It is there we need to look for the influence of Nietzsche
rather in the irrational posturing of the poststructuralists.
The latter's Nietzsche was heavily influenced by Heidegger's
reading.

Where I think the Living Marxism tradition comes closest to
Nietzsche is in their social Darwinism and their pro-
modernization triumphalism.  When Furedi toured Africa he
looked at the empty species and wanted a huge increase in
population.   (BTW John Wayne had the same reaction when he
was filming Hatari in 1962).

James Heartfield's contempt for the global warming hypothesis
(actually now a fact)is instructive.  Here again anything
which could possibly stand in the way of capitalist
modernity, such as a recognition of the reality of natural
necessity, is excoriated.

If we think Fukuyama and his reading of Nietzsche, then we
are close to understanding Furedi & Co's "turn".

regards

Gary

When he reads Marx he goes above all to the Manifesto and
what comes out of that is a belief in the capitalist as
ubermensch and capitalist modernity as the way to achieve
that.

Think too of Nietzsche's hatred for all and for everything
that he felt stood in the way of the brave new world of the
overman.  Don't you detect that in Furedi and James
Heartfield?