[Marxism] Spinning...

steve heeren tzsche at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 4 13:02:01 MST 2005

Calvin:

1) okay, back to your original question, then. this, in brief:

the US was the main instigator of the earlier phases of the "war on
drugs" (nixon's term c. 1968), in particular the 1907 (?) Commission on
heroin and coca  which led to the international interdiction of those
substances by 1909, especially in Shanghai and Singapore (South east
asia?  per your query) But the USA's focus was (and still is) on the
supply side, and only rarely looking into the demand side (except by its
lunatic policy of drug and alcohol PROHIBITION). this was and is a very
good excuse to be intervening in the affairs of other countries
throughout the globe where such substances are grown (think marijuana
here, too) so your question is hard to answer in any easy way. just
google a few relevant terms for good histories. Also Mike Gray's _Drug
Crazy_ is very worthwhile.

2) as for marijuana use in the US here is a real giveaway:  US Sen.
Orrin Hatch (very rightwing Republican from Utah) recommended a parental
pamphlet on marijuana use by kids, which identifies as warning signs of
dope use:  "excessive preoccupation with social issues, race relations,
environmental issues, etc."  no wonder weed use gets under their skin!

steve heeren