[Marxism] Re: Imperialist storm troopers kill Italian spook, wound release

Lueko Willms l.willms at jpberlin.de
Sat Mar 5 02:26:00 MST 2005

.    On  04.03.05
  wrote  jbustelo at bellsouth.net (Joaquín Bustelo)
     on  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
     in  20050304213636.OWGG1997.imf16aec.mail.bellsouth.net at athlon
  about  [Marxism] Imperialist storm troopers kill Italian spook, wound release

JnB> [I feel sorry for the woman reporter, not just because she is a
JnB> communist, but as for her intelligence agency guard, I think it's a
JnB> case of chickens coming home to roost. And I agree with Malcolm X on
JnB> that one.]

   It is being reported that this "intelligence" agency person, Nicola
Cappellari, tried to protect Giuliana Sgrena with his body against the
shots.

   I find it quite interesting that Silvio Berlusconi felt compelled
to make a sharp declaration and to summon the US ambassador for an
explanation.

   Italy takes part in the occupation of Iraq with a contingent of
3000 solidiers; Berlusconi has been one of the staunchest European
supporters of the US war.

   The mobilizations in Italy in support of Italians taken hostage in
Iraq have always been a protest against this troop presence, and a
demand for their withdrawa. After this incident, the pressure with
certainly increase; it remains to be seen if it will be sufficient to
force a change in the Iralian governments support for the occupation.

   As to the incident itself, the car with Sgrena was driving on the
highway to the airport, and because of the well known dangerous nature
of that route, certainly at high speed. It must also have been quite
dark already, so that it is quite possible that the driver did not
recognize a US military checkpoint as such instead of an ambush of
anti-occupation forces.

   On the other hand, when this road is so dangerous, I wonder if US
military checkpoints are really a regular feature on that road; a
stationary checkpoint would be a much easier target for the insurgents
than a fast moving military konvoi.

Yours,

"Das Volk, das ein anderes Volk unterjocht, schmiedet seine eigenen
Ketten."                         - Karl Marx           (1. Januar 1870)