[Marxism] Attack on the Workers of Zanon, Argentina

Proletpower at aol.com Proletpower at aol.com
Sat Mar 5 20:16:33 MST 2005

(Zanon is an occupied factory in Argentina. The workers there were
threatened by anonymous phone calls earlier this week. Now there
has been an actual physical attack, as detailed by the workers'
press release.  Uncorrected translation)

Press Release from the Zanon Workers March 4, 2005

The wife of a worker at Zanon has been kidnapped and beaten.

This morning, the wife of a comrade in the Zanon factory was
kidnapped and assaulted. According to her statement, made at the
Public Prosecutor’s office: today at 11:30 a.m., when she was leaving
work in the city of Centenario, four men in a green Falcon forced her
to get in. "We know where you work, we know your husband works in Zanon,
and that you leave your son with your mother-in-law."  With those words,
the kidnappers began their attack on her and specified that the message
was for Godoy, López, Pedrero, and the rest of the members of the Ceramic
Workers Union. The verbal threats we have repeatedly received recently
have now progressed to physical violence. "This has to do with the Zanon
factory," they told her while they were torturing her with a sharp cutting
instrument.
     They struck her in the face and they cut her face, her chest
and her arms. The wife of the Zanon worker also said that while they
were assaulting her, the men warned her, "It’s going to be very bloody
for the union," and they said they had to cut her face, because it had
to be bloody when she returned to the members of the union. The kidnappers
threatened all the Zanon unionists when they told her "If the unionists
were unwilling to leave the ceramics factory, we would all have to live
there, because they were going to kill us all on the street, and someone
was going to die."
         We workers at Zanon understand  that this represents the
continued escalation of threats against defense counsel del Niño,
the deputy  Jesús Escobar and against the workers of Zanon. We
understand that this began with a speech by Manganaro, the provincial
Minister of Security and Labor, when the new gang of police assumed
their duties at the end of last year. On that occasion, the Minister
was clear when he labeled those of us who oppose and struggle against
the policies of the Sobisch government as "criminals." He used military
language, calling the workers who demonstrated "irregular troops,"
that the police had to chase. Yesterday the same Minister claimed that
this whole situation had to do with a conspiracy by SIDE, based on an
anonymous accusation by former agents of SIDE in the legislature.

        We workers of Zanon have not ruled out any explanation.
During this tense situation we are very near a resolution of the
conflict at Zanon and we have many possibilities of finding a
favorable outcome, after three years of struggle and workers’
management. But those in power and the absent entrepreneurs are

not going to surrender easily. They are using these tactics borrowed
from the dark years of the dictatorship to try to break us and
defeat us. Therefore, today more than ever, we reaffirm our commitment
to struggle, and we reaffirm that regardless of the source of these
threats and aggressive acts, the responsibility for what is happening to us,
to our families and to all the fighters in Neuquén, rests with Governor
Jorge Sobisch. We are calling all organizations to a meeting
tomorrow, Saturday, at 11 a.m. in the Sindicato de Judiciales (SEJUN)
to decide what steps to take.

Raúl Godoy, Secretario General: (0299) 154-052657
Alejandro López, Secretario Gremial: (0299) 154-016923
Carlos Acuña, Secretario de Prensa y Difusión: (0299) 155-837111
Mariano Pedrero, abogado Sindicato ceramista: (0299) 154-013849
_www.obrerosdezanon.org_ (http://www.obrerosdezanon.org/)
_prensaobrerosdezanon at neunet.com.ar_
(http://mail.yahoo.com/config/login?/ym/Compose?To=prensaobrerosdezanon@neunet.com.ar&YY=95413&order=down&sort=date&pos
=0)