[Marxism] Re: Is the struggle to unify China an expression of "Great H

Lueko Willms l.willms at jpberlin.de
Sun Mar 6 00:51:00 MST 2005

.    On  05.03.05
  wrote  rfidler at cyberus.ca (Richard Fidler)
     on  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
     in  008901c521d4$a8ba6b60$54b3fea9 at richard5ot5gto
  about  Re: [Marxism] Is the struggle to unify China an expression of "Great H

RF> By referring to Han chauvinism, I meant to indicate that BeijingÆs
RF> claims to Taiwan might be motivated by factors other than a
RF> revolutionary desire to free an oppressed nation from the clutches of
RF> imperialism. As you know, there is an internal national question
RF> within China ù in fact, more than one national question ù the most
RF> notorious being that of Tibet. Beijing has not been particularly
RF> successful at overcoming that national oppression.

   The relationship between Chinese and the Tibetan and Turk peoples
in the West of China have been quite different over the centuries than
those with the Han people living in Taiwan.

RF> Revolutionary nationalists in those oppressed nations within China
RF> believe that great Han chauvinism (their term) is part of the
RF> problem. Is it inconceivable that this might be a factor in
RF> BeijingÆs motivation vis-a-vis the Taiwanese question?

   It is not the non-Han people in Taiwan who are pressing for
formalizing independence to get rid of great-Han chauvinism; that
would be directed against the Han majority actually leading the
country.

   Independently of that, the ruling group in Beijing is probably not
motivated solely by a deep love of their countrymen in Taiwan and the
desire to free them from imperialist yoke, but that does not change my
attitude towards the question.

RF> More importantly, I suggested that some consideration should be given
RF> to how the inhabitants of Taiwan today approach this question.

   Looking at the opinion of the inhabitants of the Malvinas islands
or of Gibraltar, what does that change our attitude towards those
colonial leftovers?

Yours,

  "Nach meiner Ansicht besitzt die Presse _das_ _Recht_,
Schriftsteller, Politiker, Komödianten und andere öffentliche
Charaktere zu _beleidigen_. Achtete ich [so einen Angriff gegen mich]
einer Notiz wert, so galt mir in solchen Fällen der Wahlspruch: à
corsaire, corsaire et demi [auf einen Schelmen anderthalben]."
                  - Karl Marx   17.11.1860  (Herr Vogt, Kapitel XI)