[Marxism] America No. 1?

Sologdin at aol.com Sologdin at aol.com
Sun Mar 6 08:25:52 MST 2005

"based on many years in the classroom teaching in a very
specific field"

my own experience mirrors this, and though i haven't seen the exact same
bizarro-world institutional politics that you have, we are agreed that there are
such institutional mechanisms.

that said, i recommend *non campus mentis: world history according to college
students* (anders henriksson, compiler) as a humorous but revealing text on
this issue.

similarly, *Lies My Teacher Told Me:  Everything Your American History
Textbook Got Wrong* (R. Loewen) is a more rigorous account of how (intentionall?)
maleducated US students are.

last, there's a great article in *Critical Terms for Literary Study*,
"Diversity" by L Menand, which makes the case that the humanities were retained in
the James Conant "meritocracy-in-education plan during the Eisenhower years only
to provide a jingoist glue to hold the class antagonisms static--antagonisms
that the plan intended to produce in order to develop a technocratic
infrastructure for the cold war.  that such humanities were only there for sentiment
and nothing else explains much.

RJ