[Marxism] Short note from Walter in Tlatelolco, Mexico

walterlx at earthlink.net walterlx at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 6 17:44:36 MST 2005

Thanks again to the ever-vigilent Kelly at NY Transfer
who is co-moderator of CubaNews list. This is Walter
who is passing through Mexico City on the way back to
Los Angeles on Monday. Mexico City is a nice transition
back to Los Angeles. It's a Spanish-speaking country and
one which is not blockading Cuba. This afternoon I went
to an outdoor art show. Lots of nice work to see but as
far as I could see, nothing which cried out to be placed
on my walls at home, what few are left.

In Cuba you can purchase bootleg CDs on the street for
$2-2.50 per disk on small stands or racks operated by a
single individual or two. They might have 75 to 100 CDs
to choose from. Here in Mexico, as I've noticed before,
bootleg CDs are a gigantic business with public booths
at outdoor fairs offering many hundreds of selections
in well-made fake covers. You can ask the vendors to
play samples for you and they happily oblige.

The air here is dryer than in Cuba, and the altitude
here helps. I'm using a public internet cafe near the
home of the friends with whom I'm staying. It hasn't
been possible to hook up my own computer, but that has
not been a problem. I learned about a terrific program
here called mail2web.com which allows anyone to access
their own e-mail from any computer with internet access.

My Earthlink webmail allows me to see ten messages at a
time. mail2web allows me to see all of my messages on a
single page. There are over three hundred messages on my
server, and I can see them all on a single page. Free.

Enough for the moment.

Walter Lippmann, CubaNews
live in Tlatelolco, Mexico
http://www.walterlippmann.com