[Marxism] Attack on the Workers of Zanon, Argentina

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Sun Mar 6 18:25:16 MST 2005

True.  Zanon is the single occupied factory (among hundreds) under
such attacks.  It is nothing to be surprised about, given the fact
that it has been taken by an ultraleftist leadership to a cul de sac.

Of course, this is the moment when the "fascist" and "reformist"
Argentinean unions and truly national-revolutionary movements will
have to come to the rescue, unless we want Zanon to be another sore
chapter of the histories of working class struggles taken to defeat
by university chatterboxes.

Please give them as much help as possible.

Respuesta a: [Marxism] Attack on the Workers of
Remitido por: Proletpower at aol.com
Fecha: Sábado 5 de Marzo de 2005
Hora: 22:16
*****

> (Zanon is an occupied factory in Argentina. The workers there were
> threatened by anonymous phone calls earlier this week. Now there has
> been an actual physical attack, as detailed by the workers' press
> release.  Uncorrected translation)
>
> Press Release from the Zanon Workers March 4, 2005
>
> The wife of a worker at Zanon has been kidnapped and beaten.
>
> This morning, the wife of a comrade in the Zanon factory was
> kidnapped and assaulted. According to her statement, made at the
> Public Prosecutor’s office: today at 11:30 a.m., when she was
> leaving work in the city of Centenario, four men in a green Falcon
> forced her to get in. "We know where you work, we know your husband
> works in Zanon, and that you leave your son with your mother-in-law."
> With those words, the kidnappers began their attack on her and
> specified that the message was for Godoy, López, Pedrero, and the
> rest of the members of the Ceramic Workers Union. The verbal threats
> we have repeatedly received recently have now progressed to physical
> violence. "This has to do with the Zanon factory," they told her while
> they were torturing her with a sharp cutting instrument.
>      They struck her in the face and they cut her face, her chest and
> her arms. The wife of the Zanon worker also said that while they were
> assaulting her, the men warned her, "It’s going to be very bloody
> for the union," and they said they had to cut her face, because it had
> to be bloody when she returned to the members of the union. The
> kidnappers threatened all the Zanon unionists when they told her "If
> the unionists were unwilling to leave the ceramics factory, we would
> all have to live there, because they were going to kill us all on the
> street, and someone was going to die."
>          We workers at Zanon understand  that this represents the
> continued escalation of threats against defense counsel del Niño, the
> deputy  Jesús Escobar and against the workers of Zanon. We understand
> that this began with a speech by Manganaro, the provincial Minister of
> Security and Labor, when the new gang of police assumed their duties
> at the end of last year. On that occasion, the Minister was clear when
> he labeled those of us who oppose and struggle against the policies of
> the Sobisch government as "criminals." He used military language,
> calling the workers who demonstrated "irregular troops," that the
> police had to chase. Yesterday the same Minister claimed that this
> whole situation had to do with a conspiracy by SIDE, based on an
> anonymous accusation by former agents of SIDE in the legislature.
>
>         We workers of Zanon have not ruled out any explanation.
> During this tense situation we are very near a resolution of the
> conflict at Zanon and we have many possibilities of finding a
> favorable outcome, after three years of struggle and workers’
> management. But those in power and the absent entrepreneurs are
>
> not going to surrender easily. They are using these tactics borrowed
> [...]

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

Buenos Aires, 1822