[Marxism] Gladys Marin, Chilean Communist Party leader dead at 63

Jack Cade jack.cade at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 7 16:34:20 MST 2005

www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/03/06/marin.obit.ap/index.html

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) -- Gladys Marin, the combative leader of the
Chilean Communist Party who became a symbol in the fight against
the dictatorship of Gen. Augusto Pinochet, died early Sunday
after a long fight with cancer, the party reported. She was 63.

Marin died at her home in the Santiago middle-class suburb of La
Florida, said Guillermo Tellier, the Communist Party's
secretary-general.

"A few hours after falling into a coma, our loved comrade and
president of our party has died," Tellier said.

Marin battled brain cancer for a year-and-a-half, including
surgery in Sweden and two recovery periods in Cuba, where she was
a personal guest of President Fidel Castro.

Marin was an implacable foe of Pinochet's 1973-90 dictatorship.
She was one of the leaders of the first massive protests against
Pinochet in the 1980s, often facing the police tear gas and water
cannons in the streets.