[Marxism] Re: Is the struggle to unify China an expressionof"Great Han chauvinism" today?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Mar 7 19:26:19 MST 2005

Richard wrote:
>Neither situation bears any resemblance at this point to the situation
>of China, which — irrespective of whether it is a workers state or a
>bourgeois state — is not facing imperialist military assault.

I wasn't commenting directly on the Taiwan situation. In any case, since I
obviously agree with Burkett and Hart-Landsberg that China has reverted to
capitalism, Trotsky's observations do not apply. The one thing that is
relevant is the need to be very concrete. I posted the Perry Anderson item
not necessarily because I agree with it, but because I thought it would
help clarify the situation. Frankly, if I had a few minutes spare time to
dig into these questions, it would be far more interesting to look at Tibet
rather than Taiwan--especially during the period when China was Maoist. I
really wonder if the struggle to control Tibet was worth the costs to China
in terms of public perception. I know that the Dalai Lama represented a
rotting feudal system, but was Tibet really critical for the military
defense of the revolution?

Louis Proyect
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org