[Marxism] MSNBC: 500, 000 join Hezbollah protest against USinterference

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 8 17:21:32 MST 2005

greg wrote:

>France 2 on its evening news hour reports that 1 million people came out
>for the Hezbollah rally, one out of four Lebanese.

Actually, AP has reported this:

"Lebanon's state news agency estimated 1.5 million participated in Tuesday's
rally, but that seemed high for the nation of 3.7 million. An Associated
Press estimate put the crowd's size at 400,000 to 500,000."
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/11075264.htm>

Somewhere (I thought it was Reuters, but I can't find it now) I read that
"organizers" had estimated 1 million. Clearly, even the MINIMUM number of
500,000, which would be 1 in every 7.5 Lebanese, would still be a heck of a
turnout.

Of course, despite these numbers, headlines (as I report in my blog) still
trumpet "Thousands turn out for rallies". Yeah, and a coffee at Starbucks
costs only pennies. Hundreds of them.

Eli Stephens
  Left I on the News
  http://lefti.blogspot.com