[Marxism] Re: Taiwan and Kuwait ... and Goa

Lueko Willms l.willms at jpberlin.de
Wed Mar 9 00:49:00 MST 2005

.    On  08.03.05
  wrote  Brian_Shannon at verizon.net (Brian Shannon)
     on  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
     in  2951a87e1fad169dc9d36a1b646b0406 at verizon.net
  about  [Marxism] Re: Taiwan and Kuwait ... and Goa

BS> Every government of Iraq, at one time or another, has claimed that
BS> Kuwait was historically part of Iraq. There is much greater
BS> legitimacy to this claim than the Kurdish province of Iraq being
BS> party of Iraq.
BS>
BS> Kuwait exists as an independent nation only because of its relation
BS> with Great Britain. Britain's machinations against the "sick man of
BS> Europe" extends back to the middle of the 19th century. Britain's
BS> interest at the time was due to its extraordinary position on the
BS> Persian Gulf.

  Kuwait became a british protectorate in 1899, long before Britain
and France conquered the Arab possessions of the Osman Empire,
betraying the Arabs which believed in their promises and prevented a
unified Arab state by establishing seperate British and French
colonies, breaking up the "Fertile Crescent" from the Gulf till
Palestine, the heart of the Arab nation[1].

  As far as I know, Kuwait was part of the Osman province Basra. The
current Iraq was formed of the provinces (wilayat ?) Basra, Baghdad
and Mossul.

Yours,

"Die Interessen der Nation lassen sich nicht anders formulieren als unter
dem Gesichtspunkt der herrschenden Klasse oder der Klasse, die die
Herrschaft anstrebt."            - Leo Trotzki         (27. Januar 1932)

[1] see e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertile_Crescent
and a map at
http://www.hope.edu/academic/religion/bandstra/RTOT/INTRO/INT_FA.JPG

The map is linked from the above Wikipedia article.