[Marxism] the politics of paranoia

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 10 16:45:22 MST 2005

>"recovered memory" (not repressed memory), with some REMOTE
>connections to psychoanalysis,  was more or less a creation of the
>new "feminist" therapies of the 1970's, most of them decidedly not
>Freudian, and, for many of them, the main enemy was men, as fathers,
>lovers, potential rapists, etc. I really defy you to show me a
>"liberal feminist  psychoanalyst" who propagated this "recovered
>memory" crap. I think Ofra Bikel did an eyeopening documentary on
>this 10-12 years ago.
>
>steve heeren

I've seen the same phenomenon refereed to by various terms --
"recovered memory," "repressed memory," and "false memory" (the last
term used by skeptics) -- both in popular magazines and scholarly
literature.

As for the nature of your main objection, my contention wasn't that
most therapists who created and propagated the idea of recovering
repressed memory of child abuse were Freudian, though, as Freud put
it, "The theory of repression is the corner-stone on which the whole
structure of psycho-analysis rests."  I don't know if the original
proponents were Freudian psychoanalysts or other schools of
psychoanalysts, but eventually the belief in the recovered memory
spread very widely within the therapeutic profession:

recovered memories that they hear from their clients. Two empirical
studies reveal this high degree of faith. Bottoms, Shaver, and
Goodman (1991) conducted a large-scale survey of clinicians who had
come across, in their practice, ritualistic and religion-related
abuse cases. Satanic ritualistic abuse (SRA) cases involve
allegations of highly bizarre and heinous criminal ritual abuse in
the context of an alleged vast, covert network of highly organized,
transgenerational satanic cults ( Braun & Sachs, 1988; Ganaway, 1989,
1991 ). Clients with SRA memories have reported vividly detailed
memories of cannibalistic revels and such experiences as being used
by cults during adolescence as serial baby breeders to provide
untraceable infants for ritual sacrifices ( Ganaway, 1989; Rogers,
1992b ). If therapists believe these types of claims, it seems likely
that they would be even more likely to believe the less aggravated
claims involving ordinary childhood sexual abuse. Bottoms et al.'s
(1991) analysis revealed that 30% of responding clinicians had seen
at least one case of child sexual abuse. A detailed analysis of 200
clinicians' experiences revealed that a substantial number of cases
involved amnesic periods (44% of adult survivor cases). Overall, 93%
of clinicians believed the alleged harm was actually done and that
the ritualistic aspects were actually experienced by the clients. The
conclusion was, in the investigators' own words, "The clinical
psychologists in our sample believe their clients' claims" (p. 10).

A different approach to the issue of therapist belief was taken by
Loftus and Herzog (1991). This study involved in-depth interviews
with 16 clinicians who had seen at least one repressed memory case.
In this small, nonrandom sample, 13 (81%) said they invariably
believed their clients. One therapist said, "if a woman said it
happened, it happened." Another said, "I have no reason not to
believe them." The most common basis for belief was symptomatology
(low self-esteem, sexual dysfunction, self-destructive behavior), or
body memories (voice frozen at young age, rash on body matching
inflicted injury). More than two thirds of the clinicians reacted
emotionally to any use of the term authentic, feeling that
determining what is authentic and what is not authentic is not the
job of a therapist. The conclusion from this small study was that
therapists believe their clients and often use symptomatology as
evidence.   (Elizabeth F. Loftus, "The Reality of Repressed
Memories," _American Psychologist_ 48, 1993,
<http://faculty.washington.edu/eloftus/Articles/lof93.htm>)</blockquote>

Initially, most clients who believed that they recovered their
repressed memory of sexual abuse were women and children, but
nowadays an increasing number of men, too, seem to suffer from the
same idea, as some of the Catholic Church sex scandals, which has
given a second wind to the false memory syndrome, show.
--
Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/>
* Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/>