[Marxism] Richard Rodriguez and Marx

Paul H. Dillon illonph at pacbell.net
Sun Mar 13 18:22:56 MST 2005

Victor,

Nice snapshot of Rodriguez' message of mestization: la Raza Cosmica meets
Middle America.  The comparison that Marx made: "Meditteranean is to the
Atlantic as the Atlantic will be to the Pacific"  (that Louis so kindly
provided)  really does capture Rodriguez' reorientation from an east-west
social spatialization to an entirely different dimension of globalization
with California on the edge and everyone waiting for it, like Columbus'
ships, to fall off .  Some, like Rodriguez and Villaraigosa in LA, realizing
that it already has, in one sense at least.

Paul