[Marxism] Reply to Carl Davidson

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Mar 14 13:50:56 MST 2005

>In the current conditions, focusing attacks on the DP will not lead to
>a stronger workers' movement.  On the contrary, it'll lead to a
>stronger right in the U.S.  It's the ABC of politics.  I fail to
>understand why intelligent well-intentioned people don't see the self
>evident.  Louis contradicts himself when he criticizes sectarianism in
>the left and at the same time clings to the same ultra-leftist
>strategy sectarian groups uphold.
>
>Julio

It is not a question of "focusing attacks on the DP." We need to create an
alternative to the two ruling class parties. When Nader ran in 2004, he was
attacked by Davidson and others for "objectively supporting" Bush. This is
a tired, hackneyed argument that has been around since the 1930s. Even
though the progressive movement was dealt a severe blow when the CP used
its influence to tie the workers movement to the New Deal instead of
building a class based labor or 3rd party, one can understand why there
were so few objections to this policy on the left--except from the
Trotskyists. FDR was pushing through some truly progressive legislation.

In contrast to FDR's New Deal, Kerry was running a campaign based on a
promise that attacks on the vestiges of the New Deal will be less savage if
he was elected, as well as a promise to do a better job than Bush in
bringing home the coonskin from Iraq. This is not even farce following
tragedy. It is a sour belch of the kind when you've had too much to drink.

--

www.marxmail.org