[Marxism] Mass anti-Syria protest in Beirut and comments on situation

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Mon Mar 14 16:51:05 MST 2005

Wonderful post Fred.

The "reknitting" of the Empire has necessitated the
unravelling of the old partnerships, and truly everything is
very uncertain and unstable at present.

I agree that Syria is the next target.  I am not sure however
if Iran will sit back and wait to be taken out after Syria
has been knocked off.

Iran could de-stabilise the current Shia leadership and could
out-maneuver Sistani if is so chose.  al-Sadr is waiting in
the wings.

For the moment, there appears to be strong elements within
the ruling elites in Iran and Syria who desperately seek to
do nothing to alienate the Americans.  Ghaddafi in Libya is
in the same boat.  But hunkering down and hoping that the US
will not notice them, is not going to work. The process of
reknitting will go on.

Th problem for the ruling eleites in the Arab world, is that
their pro-Americanism will not save them, in this time of
reshaping and reforging of the empire. Their use-by date has
come. Only a revolutionary strategy which involves the masses
can resist American Imperialism.  However such a strategy
would invevitably put paid to the ruling elites themselves.
So they are trapped.

In the meant time the inability of the Shia and the Kurds to
form a government in Iraq is a weakness, and like so much
else mostly created by the US.

regards

Gary