[Marxism] RE: Reply to Carl Davidson - or, Why Democrats Really *Are* Worse than Republicans

M. Junaid Alam mjunaidalam at msalam.net
Tue Mar 15 21:47:28 MST 2005

I fundamentally disagree with you, Julio, because what you describe as
an exercise in mere formal abstraction, ie. my model,  I see as
representative of the historical facts and political realities of this
country.

 I therefore disagree with what you choose to posit as present political
realities - the need to form an alliance with the Democrats for whatever
practical political purposes. Though I didn't actually write anything
about forming blocs with Democrats per se, and I don't disagree with the
idea of forming temporary alliances with enemies, this proposition is
precluded by what I consider to be the overall nature and function the
Democratic party plays, which is, again, where we disagree.

I think my idea on this solid based on one simple test - you spend reams
of paragraphs defending the concept of alliance, but this has already
been tried a million times. It's not as if those to the left of the DP
have been sectarians fanatically avoiding trying to work with the
Democrats. The problem is actually that working with the Democrats is
what has gotten us into our current national mess. The position of
rejectionism that I am advancing, or comes out of an understanding of
the party that I am advancing, is a reaction to this pre-existing status
quo.