[Marxism] Re: [PEN-L] More Godel

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Mar 17 17:27:46 MST 2005

"Carlos A. Rivera" wrote:

> It references the book that influenced me about Godel, "Eternal Golden
> Braid: Godel, Escher, Bach".

It's a beautiful book. (And Martin Gardner published a review of it in
Scientific American that was a little gem in itself.) I've read (or
browsed through) his later books but personally found them less
interesting. The pretentiousness you refer to below is part of the fun
in EGB.

For critiques of Hofstadter's "computationalism," see

<http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~philos/MindDict/searle.html>

and the other links given there. It is a discussion of the work of John
Searle. Neither Searle nor Hofstadter is a marxist (or even close to
one), but Hofstadter (as revealed in a book he wrote in collaboration
with Daniel Dennet) is (in marxian terms) a mechanical materialist, and
Searle's critiques are of interest.

Carrol