[Marxism] Re: Labor's Giant Step by Art Preis

Lueko Willms l.willms at jpberlin.de
Fri Mar 18 14:10:00 MST 2005

.    On  18.03.05
  wrote  MLause at cinci.rr.com (Mark Lause)
     on  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
     in  000b01c52bf1$15bc93c0$d41bb941 at yourkf1y8xksrv
  about  RE: [Marxism] Labor's Giant Step by Art Preis

ML> If I remember rightly, Preis' book was mostly a compilation of
ML> in-depth Militant articles.  I think the Militant's on microfilm and
ML> available through most interlibrary loan services.

   The first nine chapters, i.e. pages 3 thru 81, or Part 1 "The rise
of the CIO" was first written and published as a series in "The
Militant" from May 9, through July 4, 1955. For the book, only slight
modifications had been made, according to Preis's preface.

   The rest of the book, pages 85 thru 538, has been written between
1958 and 1964. Art Preis' preface is dated May 1, 1961.

   A second edition with 665 pages is available for 30 USD from
Pathfinder Press. See http://www.pathfinderpress.com/d300/326.shtml

Yours,

  "Nach meiner Ansicht besitzt die Presse _das_ _Recht_,
Schriftsteller, Politiker, Komödianten und andere öffentliche
Charaktere zu _beleidigen_. Achtete ich [so einen Angriff gegen mich]
einer Notiz wert, so galt mir in solchen Fällen der Wahlspruch: à
corsaire, corsaire et demi [auf einen Schelmen anderthalben]."
                  - Karl Marx   17.11.1860  (Herr Vogt, Kapitel XI)