[Marxism] Re: Terri Schiavo: the right to live, to die, or to kill?

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Mon Mar 21 11:45:38 MST 2005

davidquarter at sympatico.ca wrote, "Marxists might be surprised to know
that very few disabled peope (many of whom have serious impairments and
experience extreme pain) ascribe to this belief. Most don't ask for
people's pity, but rather the same degree of respect and dignity
afforded to other adults and along with that, the rights, protections
and accomodations (e.g., accesss to public facilities) that much of the
abled body public takes for granted and that currently is nonexistent
for disabled people in most countries around the world."

Obviously, this depends on the individual and I don't accept the right
of anyone (including David) to speak for those who can express their own
wishes.  Certainly, the terminally ill and aged are, in effect,
systematically incarcerated with no prospect of ever being able to enjoy
"the rights, protections and accomodations" that others have.  I've had
relatives whose lives became quite miserable by having them artificially
prolonged.  I know they didn't want it.  And I certainly wouldn't want
it if there's no prospect of recovery.

ML