[Marxism] Teen's Rampage Leaves 10 Dead in Minnesota

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 22 10:20:31 MST 2005

While Washington tried to bludgeon and bribe countries
in the third world to join its anti-Cuba campaign at the
United Nations Human Rights Commission in Geneva, life
as it's really lived in the United States shows everyone
the kind of culture Washington wants to impose on Cuba.

The moment I saw this I thought of Juan Miguel Gonzalez,
the father of Elian Gonzalez, the six-year-old Cuban child
kidnapped by rightist Cuban exile militants in Florida five
years ago. Dan Rather of CBS television's SIXTY MINUTES TV
magazine program, asked Elian's dad:

  RATHER: Tell me why it wouldn't be best for you to say okay
  I'll, I'll stay in the USA, I'll stay here with my child,
  where there is freedom and may be more opportunity for him.

  Why not do that in the best interest of the child?

  JUAN MIGUEL: I ask you what's freedom? Well, freedom is for
  example, in Cuba, where education and health care is free.
  Or is it the way it is here? Which of the two is freedom?

  For example, here when parents send their children to
  school they have to worry about violence. A child could be
  shot at school. In Cuba, things like that don't happen. So
  you can go to work and not worry. Which of the two is
  freedom?

  CBS TELEVISION NO LONGER HAS THIS ON THEIR WEBSITE,
  BUT YOU CAN READ THE FULL TRANSCRIPT HERE:
  http://www.walterlippmann.com/docs091.html

It's BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE again, this time in Northern
Minnesota on an Indian Reservation, the concentration
camps where the native peoples of the United States are
interned. Yes, they can get out, but they are where the
native peoples are imprisoned by the drugs, alcohol and
other anti-social ways people in the heartland of the
"free world" are encouraged to react against hard times
and a heartless, racist culture.

Not thinking socially and acting politically, but taking
it out on themselves through self-destructive behaviors
such as these. Michael Moore's film speaks in a language
which ordinary people, wondering how this can happen,
can listen to and understand. It can help them grapple
with these realities in a helpful manner.

Walter Lippmann, CubaNews
http://www.walterlippmann.com

Last update: March 22, 2005 at 10:09 AM
Teen's Rampage Leaves 10 Dead in Minn.
By JOSHUA FREED,  Associated Press Writer
March 22, 2005 0322AP-SCHOOL-SHOOTI

REDBY, Minn. (AP) - The suspect in the worst U.S. school
shooting since Columbine smiled and waved as he gunned down
five students, a teacher and a guard, asking one of his
victims whether he believed in God, witnesses said. The
teen's grandfather and his grandfather's wife also were
found dead, and the boy killed himself.

Reggie Graves, a student at Red Lake High School, said he
was watching a movie about Shakespeare in class Monday when
he heard the gunman blast his way past the metal detector
at the school's entrance, killing a guard.

Then, in a nearby classroom, he heard the gunman say
something to his friend Ryan. "He asked Ryan if he believed
in God," Graves said. "And then he shot him."

The death toll at the Red Lake Indian Reservation in far
northern Minnesota made it the nation's worst school
shooting since the rampage at Columbine High School in
Littleton, Colo., in April 1999 that ended with the deaths
of 12 students, a teacher and the two teen gunmen.

The victims included the gunman's grandfather; the
grandfather's wife; a school security guard; a teacher; and
five other students. At least 14 others were wounded, and
two of them remained in critical condition Tuesday at
MeritCare in Fargo, N.D., officials said.

"There's not a soul that will go untouched by the tragic
loss that we've experienced here," Floyd Jourdain Jr.,
chairman of the Red Lake Chippewa Tribe, told WCCO-TV of
Minneapolis on Tuesday.

Police said the gunman killed himself after exchanging fire
with officers. Red Lake Fire Director Roman Stately said
the gunman had two handguns and a shotgun.

"We ask Minnesotans to help comfort the families and
friends of the victims who are suffering unimaginable pain
by extending prayers and expressions of support," Gov. Tim
Pawlenty said.

The shooter was Jeff Weise, a 17-year-old student who had
been placed in the school's Homebound program for some
violation of policy, said school board member Kathryn
Beaulieu. Students in that program stay at home and are
tutored by a traveling teacher. Beaulieu said she didn't
know what Weise's violation was, and wouldn't be allowed to
reveal it if she did.

There was no immediate indication of Weise's motive. But
several students said he held anti-social beliefs, and he
may have posted messages on a neo-Nazi Web site expressing
admiration for Adolf Hitler.

A writer who identified himself as Jeff Weise of the Red
Lake Reservation posted the messages under the nickname
"Todesengel" - German for "angel of death." An April 2004
posting by him referred to being accused of "a threat on
the school I attend," though the writer later said he was
cleared.

Relatives told the St. Paul Pioneer Press that Weise was a
loner who usually wore black and was teased by other kids.
Relatives told the newspaper his father committed suicide
four years ago, and that his mother was living in a
Minneapolis nursing home because she suffered brain
injuries in a car accident.

The governor said it appeared the school had "very rigorous
security."

"It looks like you had a very disturbed individual who was
able to overcome a lot of precautions to do a lot of
damage," Pawlenty said.

Beaulieu said school was canceled Tuesday, but plans hadn't
been made for the rest of the week.

During the rampage, teachers herded students from one room
to another, trying to move away from the sound of the
shooting, said Graves, 14. He said some students crouched
under desks.

Some pleaded with the gunman to stop. "You could hear a
girl saying, 'No, Jeff, quit, quit. Leave me alone. What
are you doing?"' Sondra Hegstrom told The Pioneer of
Bemidji.

Student Ashley Morrison said she heard shots, then saw the
gunman's face peering though a door window of a classroom
where she was hiding with several other students. After
banging at the door, the shooter walked away and she heard
more shots, she said.

"I can't even count how many gunshots you heard, there was
over 20. ... There were people screaming, and they made us
get behind the desk," she said.

FBI spokesman Paul McCabe said the gunman exchanged gunfire
with Red Lake police in a hallway, then retreated to a
classroom, where he was believed to have shot himself.

All of the dead students were found in one room, including
the teen believed to be the shooter.

Authorities closed roads to the reservation in far northern
Minnesota while they investigated the shootings. The
reservation, about 240 miles north of the Twin Cities, is
home to the Red Lake Chippewa Tribe, one of the poorest in
the state. According to the 2000 census, 5,162 people lived
on the reservation, and all but 91 were Indians.

It was the second fatal school shooting in Minnesota in 18
months. Two students were killed at Rocori High School in
Cold Spring in September 2003. Student John Jason
McLaughlin, who was 15 at the time, awaits trial in the
case.

Red Lake High School has about 300 students, according to
its Web site.