[Marxism] Achcar on Marxism and religion

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Mar 22 18:12:37 MST 2005

>Today zmag posted an excellent article by Gilbert Achcar on Marxism and
>religion, specifically how to approach Islam in general and its
>fundamentalist strain in particular. It's a great mixture of theoretical
>and historical references and application to the French hijab controversy
>as well as taking on the pandering of the British SWP to fundamentalism.

If comrades want to see what Respect is about, go to:

http://www.respectcoalition.org/index.php?sec=23

I expect that an SWP leader will answer Achcar. There has been a running
debate between him and them for a while now around related questions.

I think that Achcar is a horse's ass myself. He concocted a conspiracy
between Baathist remnants and US imperialism based on zero evidence. I also
heard him speak at a conference on imperialism at Columbia a year or so
ago. He wasted 45 minutes saying absolutely nothing. He didn't even bother
to prepare an outline.

Louis Proyect
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org