[Marxism] Jim Craven on Ward Churchill

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Mar 22 21:15:44 MST 2005

I am beginning to more fully appreciate the penetrating insights embodied
in Groucho Marx's aphorism: "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that
would have me as a member."

It is very simple: To really honor the victims of a given holocaust or
event, the full magnitude and essential dimensions and causes must be
discovered, exposed and used in concrete ways to prevent another holocaust
or event and even more victims. So, for example, when some see the nazi
Holocaust solely in terms of Jewish victims and/or see no nominally Jewish
victimizers and accomplices, they are not only desecrating the memory and
sufferings of the non-Jewish victims, they are also desecrating the memory
and sufferings  of the Jewish victims as well. Anyone who denies,
equivocates, limits or covers-up the true and full dimensions, causes,
effects and full accounting of all victims of a holocaust or event
desecrates the memory of all the victims­colllectively and individually--
and helps to make the same easier and more acceptable in the future.

Jump to 9-11. Use of the compound metaphor "Some chickens coming home to
roost" in reference to 9-11, as the same metaphor was once used by Malcolm
X in reference to the assassination of JFK, is, at certain levels, a quite
accurate and provable statement about cause and effect and tit-for-tat that
goes on in the real world--sometimes mimicked or reflected in game theory.
To say that for SOME of the individuals and agencies working in the
WTC  9-11 represented a direct BLOWBACK (and for others an indirect
BLOWBACK) or negative and unintended consequences coming back from previous
operations or alliances, is an entirely and provably accurate statement;
bin Laden and his crew did not just fall out of the sky one day--they came
from somewhere, they had U.S. support and used U.S. banks, and they clearly
were then, when they were getting U.S. government support, what they are
now. In making this observation, neither I nor anyone else is necessarily
or logically saying or implying that any or all of the victims deserved
what they got or that we should celebrate in any way the deaths of anyone.
It is only making a statement about real-world cause-and-effect and is also
saying or implying that the real way to honor victims (unlike the ways of
cheap rhetoric, syrupy sycophancy, tie-a-yellow-ribbon exhibitionism etc)
is to tell it as it clearly and provably is without fear, favor or
'politically correct' or sanitizing language.

All this hand-wringing about Ward Churchill's apparent "tone" or "style" in
his article only gives the self-appointed censors and silencers more raw
meat to work with. Is it or is it not true that the U.S. Government and
various private entities (some of which had offices in the WTC) have
committed and are committing terrorism as THEY themselves have defined the
word (calculated or highly probable/foreseeable violence against
non-combatants)? Is it or is it not true that terrorist acts not only admit
impotence and weakness at a certain level, but also invariably invite
reprisals and counter -terrorism? That is not only the basic observation
Ward Churchill was making, but it is also asserted in the official rhetoric
and rationales of the U.S. Government itself .

Is it or is it not true that the basic rationales, logic and mindsets of
those who did 9-11 are basically the same as those in/allied with the Bush
and previous administrations of the U.S. Government? Could the essence of
the following not have been written/uttered by either side? [from
Information Clearinghouse]:

"That's not really a number I'm terribly interested in.": General Colin
Powell, Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, on being asked his
assessment of Iraqi military and civilian casualties, April 1991

and:

Lesley Stahl: "I mean, that's more children than died in Hiroshima. & ­ and
you know, is the price worth it?"

Madeline Albright: "I think this is a very hard choice, but the price ­ we
think the price is worth it."

Former U.N. Ambassador Madeline Albright, responding to reporter Lesley
Stahl as to whether the over half a million Iraqi children killed by the UN
sanctions against Iraq were "worth it." CBS May 11, 1996

and:

"Why should we hear about body bags and deaths and how many, what day it's
gonna happen? It's not relevant. So why should I waste my beautiful mind on
something like that?": George W. Bush's mother Barbara on ABC/Good Morning
America, March 18, 2003

I, for one, am prepared to defend not only Ward Churchill's academic
freedom, but, also, the specific content­and even tone­of wh what he wrote.
Let those spineless and opportunistic worms in the Democratic Party wring
their hands and try so hard to appear 'reasonable', 'moderate' and
politically correct. For those who really want to honor the victims and
support the troops, then tell the truth, all of it, without fear or favor,
then stand firm and take on/expose these proto/outright-fascist
Neanderthals wherever they surface in whatever forms and venues.

It is all amazing: Clinton got impeached­and almost convictedd­for a little
'night work' in the ol 'O[R]al Office' (instead of the machinations for
which he should have been impeached) while little George, through his
minions, has been able to steal two national elections, commit the kinds of
War Crimes and Crimes Against Humanity for which individuals were hanged at
Nuremberg, continue to bald-face lie over and over about the real causes
and intentions behind the Iraq War and cynically use 9-11 the same way
Hitler used the Reichstag Fire, and some are worried about some of the
'tone' of Churchill's writing­even suggesting the tone of his writing was
the cause or a cause of the reaction against him. In fact, in his article
as well as in the whole book based on it, there was really nothing in
content or tone by Ward Churchill that cannot be found on myriad lists on
the net and/or that has not been uttered/written by other academics­myself
included.

Jim Craven

Louis Proyect
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org