[Marxism] LH Anti-War Report: Some Ground Reports from Second Iraq War Anniversary Protests in US

M. Junaid Alam mjunaidalam at msalam.net
Wed Mar 23 19:08:29 MST 2005

  Anti-War Report: Wednesday, March 23, 2005

*Fayetteville, North Carolina*

/Pictures from Fayeteville
<http://www.traprockpeace.org/fayetteville_march_05/>: By Charles Jenks/

*/ March 19 Rally in Fayetteville, NC, a Resounding Success!/*

Report by North Carolina Peace and Justice Org.:
http://www.ncpeacejustice.org/

On the Second Anniversary of the War and Occupation of Iraq, Over 4000
people marched and rallied in Fayetteville, NC, to Show Real Support for
the Troops: Bring Them Home Now! This was the largest anti-war
demonstration in Fayetteville's history, and signifies a historic
turning point for the anti-war movement, when military families,
veterans and soldiers take the lead in calling for an end to the
Occupation in Iraq.

On Saturday, March 19, 2005, over 4000 people gathering in Fayetteville
for a wonderful march and rally spearheaded by vets and military
families. People came from all over: Tennessee, Florida, South Carolina,
Minnesota, DC, Hawaii, New York. Speakers like Lou Plummer, veteran from
Fayetteville, and Mike Hoffman, founder of Iraq Veterans Against the
War, electrified the audience. At least 20 active duty GIs defied orders
from Ft Bragg to come to listen. Performers included hip hop group
Ricanstruction; a bagpipe player; Paperhand Puppet Intervention's
performance of "Guernica"; Luci Murphy from DC; and the Cuntry Kings,
performing a phenomenal piece featuring a former Air Force member Andy
Hanson. A team of 80 Hospitality Committee members helped us build
community by convening discussion circles as part of the rally.

- (Read more from this report, other reports, and see photos)
<http://www.lefthook.org/Ground/March20032305.html>

A Ruthless Critique of the War: Re-Build the Popular Resistance to US
Imperialism!

Ashley Smith

/Remarks at 3/20 Burlington, VT Anti-War Rally/

Brothers and sisters we rally and march this weekend to rebuild the
resistance to empire. Bush, with the near unanimous support of the
Democratic Party, lied us into this war and occupation

They lied about weapons of mass destruction. They lied about links
between Saddam and Al Qeada! They lied about Iraq being a threat to the
United States. Based on lies, they have murdered over 100,000 Iraqis,
tortured countless people in the jails of Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo, and
laid waste to the infrastructure of Iraq. They have spent billions of
our dollars and sacrificed over 1,500 working class soldiers on this
conquest.

But across the world this weekend we march to say enough is enough. We
will not stand for any more blood spilt for these lies. Mr. Bush, we
demand that the US bring the troops home, not on some distant day, but
now, today, so that Iraq can be free.

We the forces of the anti-war movement are the vast majority of the
world, the majority of the United States and the majority of Vermonters.
59% of Americans want an end to the occupation. Vermont shocked the
nation with our resolutions against the war and occupation! Here in
Burlington, we voted two to one to bring the troops home now! In the
words of the Christian Science Monitor, our town meetings were a revolt
against war and occupation.

- (Read full) <http://www.lefthook.org/Ground/Smith032305.html>

Critical Reflections on American Complicity: "The world is waiting for
an answer: Are we Americans, or human beings?”

Robert Jensen

/Speech at 3/20, Austin, TX, antiwar rally /

What’s happening is hopeful. It means that even when people are deluged
daily by the most relentless and sophisticated propaganda system in the
world, they can see clearly the issues, see clearly what’s at stake, and
take action.

But we can’t be naïve about the struggle. We have to face the serious
obstacles to real justice and peace in the world, which can’t be
overcome by one day’s protest. Let’s be clear about those obstacles.

The first, and most obvious, problem is: George W. Bush, Dick Cheney,
Condoleezza Rice, Donald Rumsfeld, and the Republican Party. We have to
commit ourselves not just to getting these the ideologically fanatical
reactionaries out of office but also to challenging them for control of
the public conversation -- the heart of democracy -- which they have so
effectively narrowed and degraded.

The second, and equally obvious, problem is: John Kerry, John Edwards,
Hillary Rodham Clinton and the other corporate toadies who run the
Democratic Party. I know there are some in the antiwar movement who
believe the Democratic Party can be a vehicle to challenge the U.S.
empire. But that wasn’t true in the last half of the 20th century, when
Cold-War liberals promoted imperial policies, and it isn’t true in the
21st century, when War-on-Terrorism liberals are doing their part to
prop up the empire.

Those are the easy targets, the people in power. But we face other
challenges that run deeper.

We have to confront the deeply embedded racism in the United States that
makes it so easy to mobilize public support for war, as long as the
targets are not white.

- (Read full) <http://www.lefthook.org/Ground/Jensen032305.html>

The Battle for the Bodies of America's Youth: Army Admits It Will Miss
More Recruiting Goals

Kevin B. Zeese

Counter-recruitment has become a key battleground in the effort to stop
the war in Iraq and prevent future military adventures by President Bush
and a compliant Congress. Today, the U.S. Army admitted that it expects
to miss its recruiting goals this month and next and is working on a
revised sales pitch appealing to the patriotism of parents. Last week,
nationwide demonstrations kicked off in Washington, DC including an
event at an Army recruitment center and in many cities demonstrations
were held outside of recruitment offices.

The Army keeps saying it is planning no return of the draft, but more
and more commentators are seeing the choice for the U.S. government
might become - withdraw from Iraq or enact a military draft. The Army
has already increased the "backdoor draft" announcing today that more
people in the Individual Ready Reserve - those no longer in uniform and
not obligated to train - are going to be called up for duty.

- (Read full) <http://www.lefthook.org/Politics/Zeese032305.html>