[Marxism] US used banned weapons in Fallujah

Raymond Chase r_chase at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 23 22:33:06 MST 2005

Below find a letter from a friend of mine and an article from Aljazeera,
both on the topic of the US use of internationally prohibited substances,
including mustard gas, nerve gas, and napalm gas in the Fallujah
offensive. -- rc

Jim wrote:
Another story the US media has ignored, which many people also had to learn
about from Hugo Chavez, oddly enough has to do with Iraq. This is the story
of Dr.Khalid ash-Shaykhli, an official at Iraq's health ministry, who said
that the US military used banned weapons during its deadly offensive in the
city of Fallujah. Dr. ash-Shaykhli was assigned by the ministry to assess
the health conditions in Fallujah following the November assault there. He
said that research conducted by his medical team proved that American forces
used internationally-prohibited substances such as mustard gas, nerve gas,
and other burning chemicals in their attacks in the war-torn city. The
health official announced his findings at a news conference March 1 in the
health ministry building in Baghdad which was attended by more than 20 Iraqi
and foreign media networks, including the Washington Post and the
Knight-Ridder service from the United States.{9} The Associated Press
reported the story {10}, citing Chavez as the source, but no mainstream
media appear to have found it newsworthy; this stands in sharp contrast to
repeated criticisms by conservatives that the American "liberal" media
report only the bad news from Iraq.
--------

Aljazeera.com         3/3/2005

U.S. used banned weapons in Fallujah – Health ministry

An official in Iraq’s health ministry said that the U.S. used banned weapons
in Fallujah

Dr. Khalid ash-Shaykhli, an official at Iraq’s health ministry, said that
the U.S. military used internationally banned weapons during its deadly
offensive in the city of Fallujah.

Dr. ash-Shaykhli was assigned by the ministry to assess the health
conditions in Fallujah following the November assault there.

He said that researches, prepared by his medical team, prove that U.S.
occupation forces used internationally prohibited substances, including
mustard gas, nerve gas, and other burning chemicals in their attacks in the
war-torn city.

The health official announced his findings at a news conference in the
health ministry building in Baghdad.

The press conference was attended by more than 20 Iraqi and foreign media
networks, including the Iraqi ash-Sharqiyah TV network, the Iraqi as-Sabah
newspaper, the U.S. Washington Post and the Knight-Ridder service.

Dr. ash-Shaykhli started the conference by reporting the current health
conditions of the Fallujah residents. He said that the city is still
suffering from the effects of chemical substances and other types of weapons
that cause serious diseases over the long term.

Asked whether limited nuclear weapons were also used by U.S. forces in
Fallujah, Dr. ash-Shaykhli said; “What I saw during our research in Fallujah
leads me to me believe everything that has been said about that battle.

“I absolutely do not exclude their use of nuclear and chemical substances,
since all forms of nature were wiped out in that city. I can even say that
we found dozens, if not hundreds, of stray dogs, cats, and birds that had
perished as a result of those gasses.”

Dr. ash-Shaykhli promised to send the findings of the researches to
responsible bodies inside Iraq and abroad.

Fallujah residents said napalm gas was used

During the U.S. offensive, Fallujah residents reported that they saw
 “melted” bodies in the city, which suggests that U.S. forces used napalm
gas, a poisonous cocktail of polystyrene and jet fuel that makes the human
body melt.

In November, Labour MPs in the UK demanded Prime Minister Tony Blair to
confront the Commons over the use of napalm gas in Fallujah.

Furious critics have also demanded that Blair threatens the U.S. to pullout
British forces from Iraq unless the U.S. stops using the world’s deadliest
weapon.

The United Nations banned the use of the napalm gas against civilians in
1980 after pictures of a naked wounded girl in Vietnam shocked the world.

The United States, which didn't endorse the convention, is the only nation
in the world still using the deadly weapon.