[Marxism] Buying off the German people

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Mar 24 08:44:00 MST 2005

Charles Brown wrote:

>  The important point might be that fascism in the U.S.A. could look a lot
>more like it does now than some have thought. There does not have to come
>about the air of a "police state" , a "totalitarian" atmosphere.

While the life of an average middle-income apolitical person might be
impacted little by the imposition of fascism, for those who want to
challenge the status quo, there is a huge difference. I recommend the 1982
German film "The White Rose," which deals with a movement of liberal
college students against Nazism. Their resistance consisted exclusively of
putting up antifascist flyers in the dead of night. They were all rounded
up and executed. This is not how the USA operates obviously. In fact, I
think the real threat is a new round of McCarthyism rather than anything
that looks like Nazism. The political pressure mounted on academic leftists
like Ward Churchill or Joseph Massad comes in the form of loss of income
rather than midnight raids by an American version of the Gestapo. It is
possible to exercise supreme control through this mechanism as the 1950s
demonstrates.

Louis Proyect
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org