[Marxism] Buying off the German people

Carlos A. Rivera cerejota at optonline.net
Thu Mar 24 17:54:01 MST 2005

Now, me being anti-revs and all that, this might sound funny, but I think
Hebert Marcuse has already solved all this for us:

"This is a goal within the capabilities of advanced industrial civilization,
the "end" of technological rationality. In actual fact, however, the
contrary trend operates: the apparatus imposes its economic and political
requirements for defense and expansion on labor time and free time, on the
material and intellectual culture. By virtue of the way it has organized its
technological base, contemporary industrial society tends to be
totalitarian. For "totalitarian" is not only a terroristic political
coordination of society, but also a non-terroristic economic-technical
coordination which operates through the manipulation of needs by vested
interests. It thus precludes the emergence of an effective opposition
against the whole. Not only a specific form of government or party rule
makes for totalitarianism, but also a specific system of production and
distribution which may well be compatible with a "pluralism" of parties,
newspapers, "countervailing powers," etc."

Herbert Marcuse. One-Dimensional Man
One-Dimensional Society
1. The New Forms of Control

http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/marcuse/works/one-dimensional-man/ch01.htm

http://tinyurl.com/42ojm

More recently, Noam Chomsky, has also explored the same theme.

It saddens me that except for a few exceptions, nominally Marxist writers
have ignored such questions as "superstructural", or worse, accepted them as
part of what is required to run a State, in other words, accepting
totalitarian statism as principle.

sks