[Marxism] Buying off the German people

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Mar 25 10:13:39 MST 2005

Carlos A. Rivera:

-clip-

Hence, while real wages have gone down etc, and the ruling class is not
actually buying off the working class when spoken in absolute terms, they
are buying it off in relative terms. The third world plays the role the
unemployed play in a national economy, they serve both as warning and as
reserve army.

^^^
CB: Yes, this is the key concept on this: the U.S. is a _relatively_ well
off population or section, compared to most of the rest of the world working
class.

"We're Number One ! We are the richest and most powerful in the world. And
I'm part of it " . That's the critical creed that the ruling class has
gotten masses of Americans to internalize. The method by which it is
inculcated is both by the carrot and the stick. There are lots of prisons
and poor neighborhoods for those who are not grateful for being part of
"Number One".

There is also a key internal group relative to which most Americans can feel
better off than : Black people. This is a microcosm of the relationship to
the other workers of color around the world.

And the rest..

^^^^^^

The fear of immigrants is analogous to the fear of a worker for the
unemployed. ANd just like even unionized workers would accept a pay cut in
order to keep a job, the workign class in the USA accepts a collective pay
cut if that mean still being better off than the third world. The large
number of "hispanic" Republicans, shows this immigrant reserve army in
action. And the continued unrest of the afro-american community, the sole
community who didn't arrive here willingly, shows that immigration and the
distorted image of "how it was before" is a large part of the buying off of
the working classes in the USA.

This might not answer the questions you pose, but I think it is an
incredibly important subjective factor, one that becomes almost objective in
nature, as a pillar of the continuity of the USA's society.

^^^^^^
CB: The subjective factor of masses is an objective social circumstance, for
when an idea grips the masses it becomes a material force.