[Marxism] Greens, Dems and Building Working Class Independence,

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Mar 26 17:50:15 MST 2005

Carlos wrote:
>The SP-USA is an organization that has gone throught many changes,
>leaderships, and position in its history. At one point it was the only
>viable third party, and gained mayoral and local offices well into the
>70s, where in effect they met your ludicrous criteria of "actually elected
>people to office who then go about making a difference in real people's lives".

30 years is a long time in politics. In the 1970s the SWP had nearly 2000
members. I am not opposed to the SP-USA (although the SWP is a different
matter.) The ruling class in the USA mobilized to suppress a Nader bid in
2004. It mostly ignored all other campaigns on the left, including the
SP's. That should tell you something. I am not at all hostile to the
SP-USA. I advocated a vote for McReynolds in 2000, but decided to go with
Nader after attending a standing-room rally for him at the Felt Forum. Not
to sound like a crude dialectical materialist, but at a certain point
quantity turns into quality.

Louis Proyect
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org