[Marxism] Re: Z mag/Disability Rights Watch: Terri Schiavo and thoseco

Lueko Willms l.willms at jpberlin.de
Sun Mar 27 13:27:00 MST 2005

.    On  27.03.05
  wrote  cerejota at optonline.net (Carlos A. Rivera)
     on  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
     in  003401c532fb$f475d430$dea87045 at Robotnik1
  about  Re: [Marxism] Z mag/Disability Rights Watch: Terri Schiavo and thoseco

CAR> Or all of the sudden disability rights activists a non-ideological,
CAR> non-religious lot simply because they claim to?
CAR>
CAR> Doesn't it enter your mind  the real of possibility that at least
CAR> some of the disability rights activists are informed by religious
CAR> and political ideas that can be described as reactionary (Republican
CAR> rigth) and/or "papist"?

  And if they were, what matters?

  Do people which you describe as "reactionary" or "papist" not have
the right to voice their opinion?

  "Papists" and other religious leaders have opposed the euthanasia
program of the Nazis in Germany, and, I would think, that the whole
working class movement has supported their stance. Sure, there were
others who have cooperated with the Nazis, and some of them have
changed their attitude over time. Bethel, the large protestant run
psychiatric hospital and asylum on the outskirts of Bielefeld is such
a case (v.-Bodelschwinghsche Anstalten).

CAR> Or are disability rights activists some kind of special people,
CAR> completely devoid of class and ideological alliangeces, and
CAR> completely devoted solely to advancing the rights of disabled
CAR> people?
CAR>
CAR> Such views require and incredible excercise in disingeniousness.
CAR> Yes, what disability rights people have to say about the case is
CAR> important, but to claim they have some sort of moral superiority
CAR> simply because they are disabled, and further, to claim they live in
CAR> an ideological vacuum is to say the least, naive.

   I can't remember having read that in this declaration, so I think
this perception must be completely your own.

  What is important for me is the strong assertion, that nobody has
the right to dispose of the life of somebody else because he thinks
that this other person is no longer worth living, for whatever
reasons.

  I was personally confronted with such views, when most of my
brothers and sisters opposed the operation which could have saved the
life of my mother, because the life in a wheelchair (the operation
proposed by the doctors was the amputation of a leg) would not be
worth living.

  The advances of medical science and technology have increasingly
turned death from a natural calamity into a self-determined
termination of life. Everybody should have the right to end her or his
own life, but not be subjected to somebody else who despises one's
level of life.

Yours,

"Die Interessen der Nation lassen sich nicht anders formulieren als unter
dem Gesichtspunkt der herrschenden Klasse oder der Klasse, die die
Herrschaft anstrebt."            - Leo Trotzki         (27. Januar 1932)