The political role of (most) protestant churches in L. America (wasRe: On "Hispanic" Republicans (was Re: [Marxism] re:Buyi

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Sun Mar 27 18:59:17 MST 2005

Respuesta a:"Re: The political role of (most) protestant churc"
Enviado por:Carlos A. Rivera
Con fecha:27 Mar 2005, a las 18:14

> Now, I read and re-read and re-read, but I can't see how is it that
> Catholicism and Protestantism are placed in contrast in this story, in
> terms of what I mentioned in my posts on the "Hispanic" move towards
> conservatism. I don't believe this is a factor simply because
> religious conversion in to Pretestantism is not that important to be
> in power in the USA. There has been a Catholic president etc.

I was not speaking of Catholicism and Protestantism in the US.

I just tried to explain that it was not possible to understand the
Catholicism - Protestantism divide in Latin America (nor anything
else, by the way) if one does not set it within the general framework
of imperialist penetration of the Balkanized nation.  I believed that
M. Junaid Allam had made a generalization that I wanted to restrict
to the area where it might be valid, if he was right.

Relations between, say, Greek Orthodox, Muslim, Protestant, Buddhist,
Catholic, Nestorian Christians (yes, there is a Nestorian church in
the Middle East, but I am innocent!), and whatever religious belief
(struggle or fraternity) must be always set against the concrete
political and historical, that is class, situation of the place and
time involved.  And I am being intentionally abstract.

I believe it is American cdes., and in particular those American
cdes. involved in the issues at stake, not me (got enough problems
myself here), who can answer your question in your terms, Carlos.

That is why I changed the Subject line.

Best,

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar