[Marxism] Justin Raimondo: Easter orgy of destruction in Kyrgyzstan

davidquarter at sympatico.ca davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 28 03:54:19 MST 2005

March 28, 2005 How the East Was Won
The wilted daffodil: Easter orgy of destruction in Kyrgyzstan by Justin Raimondo
On the first day of Kyrgyzstan's "daffodil revolution," photogenic girls smilingly
offered daffodils to police guarding the presidential palace, but in a few hours those
same guards were being pushed back and beaten by drunken crowds, who surged
into the seat of government and ransacked the place. They also ransacked the
entire city. "Democracy, whiskey, sexy!" “ as the saying goes¦
Looters in Kyrgyzstan's capital city of Bishkek justified their rampage on the grounds
that the owners of the big stores “ including President Askar Akayev's son, Aidar “
were supporters of the old regime. Conversely, in typical Soviet style, the
"revolutionary" leaders were quick to accuse the looters of being part of a
counterrevolutionary plot:
"'It's those government-hired provocateurs who were trying to spoil our rally
yesterday,' said Kadyrbai Sodirov, referring to hundreds of men in plainclothes who
clashed with the anti-Akayev rally before the seizure of the government building
known as the White House. 'Now they are trying to tarnish our image another way.'
But Saniya Sagnayeva, an analyst from the International Crisis Group, said she
believed most looters had been on the opposition side Thursday. 'It's a war of the
poor against the rich,' she said. 'It is understandable: These young men are mostly
from remote villages. They have no fridges, no radio at home. After their triumph at
the White House, they think the city is theirs. It's winners' fever.'"
That the Bush administration has unleashed a war of "the poor against the rich" may
seem anomalous to some of us here at home “ after all, this is the same
administration that is making it harder for the poor to declare bankruptcy while at
the same time giving the rich the right to keep their Mercedes “ but this is nothing
new for our Janus-faced administration: they are royalists at home and Jacobins
abroad. While the Bushians claim the right to suspend the Bill of Rights in the U.S.,
they do more than merely proclaim their "global democratic revolution" “ they are
acting on it.
It was therefore not at all surprising to read the text of a purloined memo from U.S.
ambassador to Kyrgyzstan Stephen Young “ originally posted on the official news
site of the Kyrgyzstan government “ that outlines in detail the American plan to oust
Akayev. Now before I go any further, I just want to comment on the authenticity of
this memo: a number of people have remarked on the various grammatical errors
that appear in it. These, I believe, can be explained as errors of transcription: it
seems that this was posted in a very great hurry, as events in Kyrgyzstan have
proceeded apace. After all, we aren't talking about the Associated Press or Reuters
here, but a news agency, albeit the "official" one, in a small and relatively
impoverished Central Asian country. Secondly, we have to look at the context in
which this memo appears: it was posted on a Web site that features all sorts of
articles written with reasonable objectivity, and even pieces that put the Akayev
government in a bad light. So the Kabar News Agency doesn't seem to be an outlet
for pro-Akayev propaganda. The memo sticks pretty closely to the thrust of U.S.
policy in Kyrgyzstan, and I find the signature of the U.S. ambassador as well as the
U.S. government seal reproduced at the bottom fairly convincing. The distinct
possibility that this is authentic, and precisely because it hasn't received attention
anywhere else, compels me to take it seriously. If this isn't a memo written and
conceived in the U.S. embassy, then let the U.S. State Department deny it.
Full: http://antiwar.com/justin/