[Marxism] Hitchhiking mission statement: Denendeh or Bust

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at resist.ca
Mon Mar 28 14:29:06 MST 2005

This is the second of the two call outs. Hitchhiking has taught me much
about life, and about the reality of Canada, so as I will hitchhike my way
through this trip, I intend to scribe the stories of the various encounters,
people, events and places I get to, for their own sake. Life on the road is
never boring, and though I may put the political into the hitchhiking
stories, I will not put hitchhiking (unless impossible to avoid) into the
political reports. The two are separate missions, but both are the the
journey, and neither will be silenced.

Hitchhiking mission statement:
Denendeh or Bust: Hitchhiking across Indian Country to the Arctic

from:
http://www.digihitch.com/article662.html

(clip)

As a revolutionary, one of the greatest problems any of us face is trying to
find ways to communicate with people who are of a completely different bent,
background and life situation than yourself. If we can't talk to the people,
we are lost. As Bernd "The Thumb" Wechner once described it, the unspoken
agreement that you are signing on for when you get into a stranger's car is
to find a way to relate to them, to entertain them, to make them comfortable
and happy with having picked you up. This is a social skill that is almost
impossible to learn in the same way in any other dynamic. This is how you
pay for the ride: you are performing a service just as much as they are. And
in this is the greatest gift the road has given me: I have been able to make
that special connection with almost all manner of people on the road,
because it's a necessity. This has given me a general discomfort with the
radical "echo chamber" where we all speak a certain language, reinforcing
certain ideas to only certain people. If we can't communicate with the
"average" person, we are not going to reach them ....

(clip)

I will be posting stories about my adventures as a hitchhiker to
digihitch.com, and will be keeping the political work I do and am able to
write about separate; these will be available at independentmedia.ca. The
struggles are not about my joy in hitchhiking, but a matter of simple
resistance to genocide. As such, the two will be kept separate.

Much like the organization "The International Solidarity Movement", a
movement made up of international citizens who generally have privilege
enough to come and go as they please into Palestine to work and carry out
actions against the Occupation, so too is the idea of this journey I am
embarking upon inherently problematic and based on racial privilege. It is
my hope that so long as I aim to use the privilege of being a white settler
and turn it back upon itself, perhaps the worst aspects of this dynamic can
be avoided. This is my number one goal and priority.

(clip)

The Arctic and sub-Arctic regions look to be the main battlefield for
indigenous survival as a people and as a nation, and it is also in some of
the most beautiful places on the earth we are a part of. For these reasons,
I am making my next hitchhiking trip to head to the Arctic, the Mackenzie
Valley, as well as to the various nations that I must pass through to get
there. I will find a way to hitchhike into the Mackenzie Valley where the
threat of building the single largest industrial nightmare in the history of
this country exists. As of my writing this, there still are no roads into
the Valley, and that's as a result of amazing and inspiring resistance from
Dene nations who have lived throughout the valley for 30 thousand years.
There is, however, the Deh Cho-- otherwise known as the Mackenzie River. The
Big River will get me there, to a small community known as Fort Good Hope. I
refuse to plan ahead.

(clip)

I hope you will follow my progress while it is happening and, if you have
any money more than the average hitchhiker, consider helping the trip
receive the photographic montage and audio clips it will need to do it justice.

addendum: the page has a minor error: I am not leaving in July, I intend to
arrive in the heart of the Deh Cho Valley in Denendeh in July, I leave
Montreal in mid May...

whole statement:
http://www.digihitch.com/article662.html

to help with supplies (digital camera, internet connection, etc) please go
to the bio webpage below and click on the PayPal button near the bottom.
Anything greatly appreciated!

My bio as a Digihitch writer in general (with silly photo; take it as tongue
in cheek as I wrote it) and PayPal button/link:

http://www.digihitch.com/featured_macdonald.html

All my solidarity,
Macdonald,
still "Welsh Against Nato".