[Marxism] Hitchhiking mission statement: Denendeh or Bust

Paul H. Dillon illonph at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 28 15:22:32 MST 2005

When but a youngster, 9th grade, I read Kerouac's "On the Road" and Woodie
Guthrie's "Bound for Glory".  Doomed.  I began a hitchhiking career that
spanned the U.S., Mexico, and Canada and lasted until I was 23 before I got
a car .  If I were young today I wouldn't ever consider it.  I still pick up
hitchhikers, following Gary Snyder's revised Boddhisattva Vow, to
paraphrase,  "unless all hitchhikers, hitching in all directions throughout
the worlds as numerous as the sands of the oceans, receive rides, may I not
receive most perfect enlightenment."  -- this the ultimate safeguard of the
stranded hitchhiker at midnight.   And so I know --  once I hitched from
Storrs, CT to Pacific Grove, Ca in 6 1/2 days , all rides,  sans the UP
freight trains from Cheyenne, WY to Roseville, CA ,  but I'm told that it
takes now a month, if rides are good.  But then Canada is most certainly
different . . .

Good luck on your adventure chasing the spring north.

Paul Dillon