[Marxism] Re: Barry Sheppard's political memoir of the US SWP, 1960-88

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Tue Mar 29 21:30:36 MST 2005

Me:
>Shachtman DID NOT think the USSR was state capitalist. In fact he referred
to state capitalism as an "infantile theory". Shachtman thought the
stalinist regimes were a new kind of class society, called "bureaucratic
collectivism".

Carlos:
>>What time period we are talking about? There was a time Shachtman
advanced state capitalist views, as a matter of act he was a pioneer. BC
came later.<<

Well if Bob Gould says Barry Sheppard was born in 1937, I doubt he was
discussing the Russian question with Max Schachtman before 1947! -- by
which time the Shachtman theory of bureaucratic collectivism was very well
established.

I would be interested to know when Shachtman expressed support for any
version of the state cap theory. Where can one read about this? From a
quick google search just now I can find nothing about this.