[Marxism] Sitting Shiva for Schiavo and America: a lynching in New Mexico

acpollack2 at juno.com acpollack2 at juno.com
Wed Mar 30 19:32:21 MST 2005

One small correction to what Joaquín says:

-- Bustelo <jbustelo at bellsouth.net> wrote:
"... the chemicals used in artificial feeding through a tube are a laboratory concoction which none of us would recognize as food or voluntarily ingest in a million years. The mouth, teeth, tongue, saliva, throat and esophagus, with all the senses of touch, smell and taste as well as the physicality of eating and drinking, are
completely bypassed. The physical integrity of the body is violated, it is ripped open and a tube that's nothing like anything mother nature ever designed is inserted directly into the stomach. "

Yes and no. To the extent this artificial means of feeding is part and parcel of an inhuman means (and motivation) of keeping her alive against her -- or her healthcare proxy's -- wishes, we can consider this as one of many potential indignities.

I have, however, witnessed this merely technical means of sustaining life used in a diametrically opposite situation: an aunt of mine, totally conscious, fully functional mentally, but after a small stroke having difficulty swallowing, and thus tube-fed through her stomach by her loving husband while the two chatted about whatever. A couple weeks later she was back on regular food.

A minor point perhaps but we all know how the moral and aesthetic appearances of technology can be used and abused in polemical arguments, so best to have all the facts.

Andy