[Marxism] ANWR supporters show strength in Yukon

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at resist.ca
Wed Mar 30 22:54:15 MST 2005

"If the caribou are chased out of the birthing grounds, there won't be any
caribou, there won't be any Gwichin, and what's it all about?" said Phillipe
Leblond, who took part in the noontime rally. "More oil for feeding the war
machine?"

ANWR supporters show strength in Yukon
WebPosted Mar 30 2005 05:22 PM CST
CBC News
(follow link for photos)
http://north.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=anwr-protest-30032005

WHITEHORSE - Hundreds of Yukoners angry about the United States' decision to
allow drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge took their frustration
to the steps of the territory's legislature Wednesday.

Over 250 demonstrators turned out to listen to speakers and voice their
opposition to the planned drilling.

The demonstration was timed to coincide with a formal delegation by from
Alaskan politicians, who support drilling in the refuge.

"If the caribou are chased out of the birthing grounds, there won't be any
caribou, there won't be any Gwichin, and what's it all about?" said Phillipe
Leblond, who took part in the noontime rally. "More oil for feeding the war
machine?"

Greg Garcia travelled from Alaska to take part in the demonstration.

"It is really good to know our brothers and sisters in Canada are concerned
about this issue, and want to see it stopped," he said. "We need all the
help we can get to stop this madness."

Protesters urged the Yukon's premier to suspend talks with the Alaskans on
multi-billion dollar projects such as the proposed railway and Alaska
Highway pipeline, until the ANWR issue is settled. Many territorial and
aboriginal leaders were on hand to show their support for the caribou
birthing grounds.

Members of the Alaska delegation said they were willing to meet with
protesters to discuss their concerns.

"We're always going to find issues we disagree on," said Alaska Senator Fred
Dyson, who also warned that the demonstration could hurt the Yukon on other
cross-border issues.

"I can tell you this demonstration will be reported in Alaska as showing how
difficult it is around getting anything done, and will be arguably used to
say Canadians don't want a gas pipeline or a railroad," he said outside the
legislature, as protesters shouted and cheered just a few yards away.

"And the linkages of the disagreement on ANWR will be used by the people who
want to build an all-Alaska pipeline, and keep Yukon from getting the
benefit of a multi-billion-dollar project going through the Yukon."

The decision to drill in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge still requires
the approval of the United States Congress.

That debate is expected to begin in the next couple of weeks.
--

Macdonald Stainsby