[Marxism] The best revenge

Dbachmozart at aol.com Dbachmozart at aol.com
Thu Mar 31 17:14:40 MST 2005

Living will is the best revenge
By ROBERT FRIEDMAN,  Perspective Editor
Published March 27,  2005
Like  many of you, I have been compelled by recent events to prepare a
more  detailed advance directive dealing with end-of-life issues. Here's
what mine  says:

* In the event I lapse into a persistent vegetative state, I  want
medical authorities to resort to extraordinary means to prolong  my
hellish semiexistence. Fifteen years wouldn't be long enough for  me.

* I want my wife and my parents to compound their misery by engaging  in
a bitter and protracted feud that depletes their emotions and their  bank
accounts.

* I want my wife to ruin the rest of her life by  maintaining an
interminable vigil at my bedside. I'd be really jealous if she  waited
less than a decade to start dating again or otherwise rebuilding  a
semblance of a normal life.

* I want my case to be turned into a  circus by losers and crackpots from
around the country who hope to bring  meaning to their empty lives by
investing the same transient emotion in me  that they once reserved for
Laci Peterson, Chandra Levy and that little girl  who got stuck in a
well.

* I want those crackpots to spread vicious  lies about my wife.

* I want to be placed in a hospice where protesters  can gather to bring
further grief and disruption to the lives of dozens of  dying patients
and families whose stories are sadder than my own.

* I  want the people who attach themselves to my case because of their
deep  devotion to the sanctity of life to make death threats against any
judges,  elected officials or health care professionals who disagree  with
them.

* I want the medical geniuses and philosopher kings who  populate the
Florida Legislature to ignore me for more than a decade and then  turn
my case into a forum for weeks of politically calculated  bloviation.

* I want total strangers - oily politicians, maudlin  news anchors,
ersatz friars and all other hangers-on - to start calling me  "Bobby," as
if they had known me since childhood.

* I'm not insisting  on this as part of my directive, but it would be
nice if Congress passed a  "Bobby's Law" that applied only to me and
ignored the medical needs of tens  of millions of other Americans
without adequate health coverage.

*  Even if the "Bobby's Law" idea doesn't work out, I want Congress -
especially  all those self-described conservatives who claim to believe
in "less  government and more freedom" - to trample on the decisions of
doctors, judges  and other experts who actually know something about my
case. And I want  members of Congress to launch into an extended debate
that gives them another  excuse to avoid pesky issues such as national
security and the  economy.

* In particular, I want House Majority Leader Tom DeLay to use  my case
as an opportunity to divert the country's attention from the  mounting
political and legal troubles stemming from his slimy  misbehavior.

* And I want Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist to make a  mockery of his
Harvard medical degree by misrepresenting the details of my  case in ways
that might give a boost to his 2008 presidential  campaign.

* I want Frist and the rest of the world to judge my medical  condition
on the basis of a snippet of dated and demeaning videotape that  should
have remained private.

* Because I think I would retain my  sense of humor even in a persistent
vegetative state, I'd want President Bush  - the same guy who publicly
mocked Karla Faye Tucker when signing off on her  death warrant as
governor of Texas - to claim he was intervening in my case  because it
is always best "to err on the side of life."

* I want the  state Department of Children and Families to step in at
the last moment to  take responsibility for my well-being, because
nothing bad could ever happen  to anyone under DCF's care.

* And because Gov. Jeb Bush is the smartest  and most righteous human
being on the face of the Earth, I want any and all  of
the aforementioned directives to be disregarded if the  governor
happens to disagree with them. If he says he knows what's best for  me, I
won't be in any
position to argue.

Robert Friedman is editor  of Perspective.
He can be reached at  friedman at sptimes.com