[Marxism] Party democracy and the US SWP

Brian Shannon Brian_Shannon at verizon.net
Thu Mar 31 22:32:18 MST 2005

Although I agree that there were earlier tendencies that were hostile
to party democracy, so far as the Fraser-Kirk tendency is concerned,
they resigned in action before the 1965 convention. They contributed
little to party finances and once The Militant carried articles
sympathetic to Malcolm X and to the beginning of the student
radicalization and Vietnam antiwar movement, they stopped selling the
newspaper.

This is not to say that they were not unfairly marginalized by the
party before this. I wouldn't know. However, since I was allied with
Swabeck, without fully embracing his increasingly open Maoism, I had
some knowledge of their activity--inactivity I should say.

Brian Shannon